Thread: Help! New to African Dwarf Frogs and one is sick!

Exclamation Help! New to African Dwarf Frogs and one is sick!

Name:  1BF7085E-D559-493C-8201-48E89787C320.jpeg
Views: 307
Size:  2.04 MBI am new to owning African dwarf frogs. I got two about a month ago. A week or so into owning them they both shed. I noticed the one had a white bit on his nose after he shed, but I assumed it was leftover bit of shed that still had to come off. I own bearded dragons and that is normal for them to have a piece of shed to come off later than the rest.

It has has since progressed and now it looks like his mough/nose are rotting off. I have quarantined the sick frog and changed the water for the other frog. I have the sick frog in bacterial/fungus medicine.

Has as anyone seen this before?
    what is it?
    am I doing the right thing?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help! New to African Dwarf Frogs and one is sick!

Are there any more areas that appear to be rotting off? If so he could have red leg. How big is the permanent tank? How big is the quarantine one? He may have mouth rot, which is caused by too small a tank, they get stressed and rub their noses against the glass and it gets infected. Red leg is caused by dirty water conditions, do you have a filter? It's usually fatal, I'm sorry ;-; I know what its like to lose a froggy friend. Poor little guy, I would take them both to the vet just in case.

Nationality
    [United States]

Also, good job quarantining him!

Quote Originally Posted by BossFrog View Post
    Are there any more areas that appear to be rotting off? If so he could have red leg. How big is the permanent tank? How big is the quarantine one? He may have mouth rot, which is caused by too small a tank, they get stressed and rub their noses against the glass and it gets infected. Red leg is caused by dirty water conditions, do you have a filter? It's usually fatal, I'm sorry ;-; I know what its like to lose a froggy friend. Poor little guy, I would take them both to the vet just in case.
    the permanent tank is I believe 5 gallons. The quarantine tank is only 1 gallon because that’s all I had available. The permanent tank has a filter, but the quarantine one does not. The mouth is the only area that looks damaged

Nationality
    [United States]

That's good! I would just keep him on meds and maybe add a filter for quarantine? That would make it easier on you, not having to do water changes so much. You might also want to get a bit bigger permanent tank, even a 10g. That's what I had my two African Clawed Frogs in. Overall it looks like you're doing a great job caring for the little guy! Good luck with him!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Dflick2012 View Post
    I am new to owning African dwarf frogs. I got two about a month ago. A week or so into owning them they both shed. I noticed the one had a white bit on his nose after he shed, but I assumed it was leftover bit of shed that still had to come off. I own bearded dragons and that is normal for them to have a piece of shed to come off later than the rest.

It has has since progressed and now it looks like his mough/nose are rotting off. I have quarantined the sick frog and changed the water for the other frog. I have the sick frog in bacterial/fungus medicine.

Has as anyone seen this before?
    what is it?
    am I doing the right thing?
    Judging from your photograph, it appears to be the consequence of a fungus condition that I once experienced with one of my Hymenochirus frogs about 30 years ago.

The frog that I had developed a white, cotton-like fungal growth on its nose. I treated it by bathing it in a fish fungus remedy, which was probably Methylene Blue. The white growth eventually disappeared but the frog was left with a cavernous opening on its "muzzle" where its nostrils once were, which appears similar to what's happened with your frog. I also knew of someone else who had a frog with a similar fungal condition on its leg and the limb disappeared after treatment. In both cases the frogs survived.

I hope this information is useful to you.

Nationality
    [United States]

Can you post a more close up picture? I know it's hard to get a frog to pose for the camera so if he doesn't cooperate that's okay.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Add correct dosage stress coat immediate # you will also require 1 tea spoon of aquarium salt per gallon if frogs going to stand any chance of survival frequent water changes every second day but partial amounts remembering to redose meds correctly seek veterinary advice soon
    Last edited by craig121; April 14th, 2018 at 02:19 AM.

Thread Information