Thread: Help sexing?

Default Help sexing?

I thought for certain about a month ago that Carter was a male pixie frog because s/he had woken me up in the middle of the night from what I assumed was croaking, however I recently read somewhere that females make noises as well. Could anyone here give me some more insight on whether Carter is male or female? I recieved Carter as a froglet around mid October 2017 and s/he grew crazy fast but has since slowed down on growth tremendously.

I also don't know how to post an album hosted on here directly to the post so you can find pictures here.

(Also I'm like 99% sure that he is a P. Adspersus but the white spot on the tympanum makes me constantly second guess that, could I get some thoughts on P. Adspersus vs P. Edulis as well?)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Help sexing?

I agree with the P. adspersus identification; the white spot on the tympanum should gradually fade, as should the line down the back, unless your froggie proves to be a female in which case the line may remain. There's a clip on YouTube of a frog croaking; if you type in 'young giant African bullfrog croaking,' it should pop up (and proved helpful for me to distinguish my male from my other frogs when he was still a baby). Females can/do make noise, but from what I've read - though I'm no expert - they typically only do so when or if they're disturbed in some way, i.e. by being poked or handled, and it is a different noise than a croak, such as what's heard in the aforementioned video clip.

Thread Information