Thread: New pacman! Everyting sound okay? :)

Talking New pacman! Everyting sound okay? :)

Sorry for the phone pictures, camera was out of battery.
    I'm so excited!!!
    I think it's a Cranwell, do they keep any of their green coloring? He/she is about an inch and a half, any guesses on the age?
    One side of his belly if a little larger than the other but he did poo and he had just been fed when I got him. Should I be worried?

The little guy is currently freaking out in a large tupperware container with some eco-earth and a waterbowl, I used springwater for both but will be using dechlorinated tap in the future. I would like to move him into his new tank as soon as possible but I wasn't sure if the space would stress him?

His tank is 11W 20L and 10H, front opening with a heat pad on the top. The substrate is about two inches of coco-fiber mixed with potting soil, there's a pothos plant rooted into the wall (coco fiber background) for cover and a waterdish in the corner. I have a little barrier ready so that when he grows I can build up the substrate to 4 inches deep in 25% of the tank. Tank will be kept at 80 degrees, the air gets a little colder at night on it's own but I don't have anything to change the temp on a day/night cycle, just a simple thermostat. Hope this will be okay.
    His staple diet is Dubia roach nymphs, I will introduce nightcrawlers when he's big enough to eat them whole. I have freshly molted superworm babies ready as a treat.

Will post pictures of the tank tomorrow!
    Last edited by Hypnofrog; March 26th, 2018 at 03:37 AM. Reason: photos not working

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: New pacman! Everyting sound okay? :)

Lump was nothing and he ate his first dubia this morning, I thought for sure he'd go off food after being brought home, especially since seconds before eating he'd crossed his tub in alarm! I went ahead and moved him into the tank, he's already made a little burrow.

Any suggestions for easy lighting? Just for viewing, maybe even an outdoor string/fairy light or some kind of book light hooked onto a cord. His tank ended up darker than expected and I kind of need to wait for morning to see him properly. I can't use a standard bulb on the top of the tank, maybe a small bulb mounted to the side pointing in. Can they see blue/redbulbs? Could I use a moonlight bulb?

Member needs to set country!

Lump is a cutie! I'm not sure about the age, maybe someone else can give you an accurate number, but he's still pretty young at that size. As for one side of his belly being larger, you'll notice the left side getting bigger when you feed him and the right side getting bigger when he's working up a poop, lol.

Be very careful with spring water, some of it is safe to use and some of it isn't. It's best to take normal tap water and dechlorinating it with a water conditioner.

I'm glad he ate! For lighting, red bulbs are good because they can't see red light, so you can have it on 24/7. They do give off heat, however, so you'll have to find the right temperature balance if you get that in addition to the heater.

5. This member thanks Bynny Ribbit for this post:

Isn't he? It was surprising how much bigger he looks today, he was kind of bunched up and ready to jump yesterday but after burrowing he's basically melted, he's almost a perfect circle! I was hoping it was just his dinner, he did eat minutes before being taken home.

The last of the spring water (Kroger brand) went into expanding the coco fiber so it's just tap water with Tetrafuana reptisafe dechlorinator for now on. I used 8 drops for one gallon.

I have a feeling he'll skip eating today, tried to offer food last night and not only was he uninterested but the dubia got away from me and burrowed underneath him! It could still be there but Gorf (his new name) hasn't left the burrow..

Extra heat would be great, it's barely holding it's temp in there. I'm not sure how to place the bulb though, if I go for a heating one, the only screened opening is a 5 or 6in by 20in door in the front, and with the limited height the bulb wouldn't fit inside the tank, especially since it needs to be misted.
    I might experiment positioning a clamp light onto the door and see how that does with a red bulb, even if it's kind of awkward, or if anyone makes a mini bulb that would work.

I DROPPED HER! She jumped onto the edge of the tank and I put my hand out to stop her from leaping off but didn't want to push her backwards onto a rock so I tried to nudge her into my hand and she shot straight up and over it, tried to catch her as she fell but she just rolled/bounced off my hand and fell about four or five feet onto a grimy spot on the floor! I think she's okay, she didn't seem to break anything and she's wandered around her tank a little before settling in, I lightly misted her to try and rinse off any floor gunk or worm castings from the temporary bin I used to carry her back to her tank. Luckily the floor is made up of foam tiles (basically the same stuff they make Crock shoes out of.) so it wasn't too hard, still made a little plop sound.

Poor thing's terrified. She was just starting to explore that part of the tank too..

Oh no! One of my WTFs has jumped out of her tank onto the floor multiple times and it's always frightening. I hope she's doing well despite the stress.

9. This member thanks Bynny Ribbit for this post:

It took her some time to settle down but her appetite has improved and she's mildly less skittish. Doesn't seem hurt by the fall. She's decently active.
    It was a stressful few weeks, after watching her behavior in the tank and having trouble getting to her for feeding I decided to move her into a smaller bin until she grows, after settling she seems much happier in this and the temps are far more stable, she's finally started hunting and spends less time underground, but a worm melted in the soil so I had to take her out just a few days after she moved in, and had to dig her up to place her in the new bin the first time. That was very stressful and the whole time she spent in a warm bath while I cleaned I could hear her hopping up the sides of the container. Bath did seem good for her though.
    She also tries to escape when I reached in for her water-dish and would hop around for a while. She hasn't done this in a few days though, just calmly walked into her cave when she saw me opening the tank and when I dropped the food in she actually tried digging one of the bugs up!
    She also swallowed it alive and it kicked her in the stomach for a while..
    And I cut up three poor earthworms for nothing, she ignored them for a superworm and a dubia.

I guess all of her "padding" may have helped cushion her landing. Good to read she is doing well!

12. This member thanks Bynny Ribbit for this post:

Thread Information