Thread: bloating in baby pacman

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question bloating in baby pacman

Hi, I got a baby albino pacman frog about 4 days ago. He looks bloated and has not eaten since I got him (offered food a few times but he was not interested). Is it just stress or could he be sick? He wasn't bloated looking when I first got him. I tried soaking him in lukewarm treated water but nothing happened. I don't really want to try it again yet because it seemed like it just stressed him out. He's in a 10gal tank with eco earth, temp around low 80s during the day and mid 70s at night. Humidity is between 60-80. 3 sides of the tank are covered.

Thanks for any help

Default Re: bloating in baby pacman

Here's a picture of the day I got him vs today...
    http://tinypic.com/r/2qxuq7l/9
    http://tinypic.com/r/210ca6o/9

Member needs to set country!

Hey saturn! It would help both me and others if you could take the time and fill out this and post the information in the thread so others can analyze it. That way, we can possibly narrow down the causes of your little guy's problem.

Has the bloating gone down at all?

1. Size of enclosure - 10gal tank
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences - just the one frog
    3. Humidity - approx 60-80 percent
    4. Temperature - averages around low 80s during the day and mid-high 70s at night
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish - treated w/ reptisafe
    6. Materials used for substrate - eco earth
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - water bowl, (fake) half log, 2 fake plants
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. cleaned w w warm water and zoomed wipe out (thoroughly washed off afterwards)
    8. Main food source - has been offered hikari pac attack, crickets, and red wigglers. spit out the pac attack except for half a pellet i got him to eat, didn't budge at the bugs. I'm pretty sure he was eating crickets before i got him
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) - not sure, since i haven't gotten him to eat much yet
    10. Lighting - night red 25w halogen bulb
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - previously mentioned lighting plus a ceramic heater overhead
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - today
    13. Have you found poop lately - none
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. - bloating
    16. How old is the frog - not sure, but clearly still juvenile
    17. How long have you owned him/her - about a week
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats - offered the previously mentioned foods almost every day
    20. How often the frog is handled - daily for epsom salt soaks and feeding (or trying to feed)
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - it's my bedroom, so I'm the only one frequently moving around. it's not loud at all
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) - tank was fully cleaned before i got the frog, and again wednesday to get rid of any possible bacteria

I took him to the vet Wednesday and he peed, so that's good. I also got baytril for him. Then he peed again today when i picked him up. It definitely looks like he isn't as swollen now, and my mom agrees. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture and I don't want to dig him up to take one, but I can take one tomorrow if necessary

Member needs to set country!

Thanks for filling it out. For the feeding, he may simply be stressed from moving to a new environment, so I wouldn't try to force it. If his environment doesn't have a lot of things he can accidentally ingest, you can try leaving a few crickets in overnight and see if he eats any of them. I wouldn't recommend red wigglers since they can be foul tasting for frogs and can put them off eating any kind of worm. If you want to give him worms, I would get him some nightcrawlers and cut them up smaller, but this can be something to try later after you know he's eating.

The 10 gallon may be adding to his stress since it's such a large space and these frogs feel safer in smaller spaces when they're younger. You can try to find something to use to "divide" the tank and make it seem smaller so he feels more secure.

For the bloating, keep in mind that these frogs will retain "water weight" to maintain hydration. Mine will look super fat from soaking in a lot of water. It only becomes an issue if they are incapable of releasing the water build-up (edema) or if the bloating makes the frog feel like it's full of air.

Pictures are always helpful! Hopefully some else can give their input, I've only had my Pacman for 7 months so maybe someone with more experience can be more helpful.

Thanks. I'm not sure if loose substrate should be considered a big risk when putting loose crickets in for food... he did eat without complaint today, thought.

Could it just be water weight? He seems to behave alright other than the bloat, which I should probably mention seems to flare back up a day or so after he pees both times I thought it would be a long term improvement, but it seems he'll just swell right back up

here's a picture taken today http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ce3vpz&s=9

Thread Information