Thread: American Toad good first pet? Where to buy?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default American Toad good first pet? Where to buy?

Hello! I really wanted a Cane Toad, but I just found out that they are illegal in California where I live, so I have to settle for something else. Does anyone have any beginner toad advice? And where to get an American toad? I kind of want an American toad, is that a good first toad?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: American Toad good first pet? Where to buy?

Those toads can be hard to find in pet stores.
    In general, I've heard from a toad owner that females make better pets than the males which are more restless. No idea if that's correct. Toads in general like to dig in substrate, so if you have a planted tank be prepared for them to dig up plants sometimes.

4. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: American Toad good first pet? Where to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by KingSloth View Post
    Hello! I really wanted a Cane Toad, but I just found out that they are illegal in California where I live, so I have to settle for something else. Does anyone have any beginner toad advice? And where to get an American toad? I kind of want an American toad, is that a good first toad?

Thanks!
    I am one of the people who has been keeping American Toads for many years and it's actually my favorite amphibian! I was one of those people who said the female toads are more fun as a pet and for good reasons. They get much bigger then males and seem to be more active compared to males. There are male toads out there that are as active as female toads but in my experience of toads the female is always more active. If you can get a sexed pair that would be good because they interact with one another well. There are a few places that sell them online it is illegal for someone from their area like me to ship or sale any to you. American toads make great pets not just for beginning the hobby. They are more intelligent then the large ranid pond frogs. A 29 gallon or 40 gallon will make for a lot of fun if you observe them. A female toad will get big which people don't understand and they get 10 Gallon tanks for these animals who just like all frogs love more space. The toads don't dig up plants from my experience I've kept fully planted vivariums for 4 years with toads. They love ivy and ferns so you can use Pothos which will create a great display in a tank of the size I recommended once the pothos spred out. Trust me the toads can't kill pothos it grows in water and can take any damage a toad can dish out. Hope this helps!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thread Information