Thread: Considering getting X. borealis - Some questions

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Considering getting X. borealis - Some questions

Hi All,

I've been tossing around the idea for a while of becoming a frog dad. There's something about the Xenopus frogs that are growing on me. Been doing a lot of reading and X. borealis is really growing on me. My other half and I are huge animal people and we love to treat our animals as well as possible. I have some questions for those of you who have X. borealis or ACF's in general. This might sound weird, but do they get lonely if they are the only frog in a tank. I wanted to start out with one in a ten gallon tank (good size?). I would like to get a male. Between my lady-friend, our fish and parrots I am the only guy in the house. Would be nice to have some more testosterone around. That's not really a huge deal though. I've also read that their call is "loud". I really have nothing to compare to but how loud is loud? I doubt a frog would be able to compete with the parrot. So far the only place I've found who sells them is xenopus.com. From everything I have read they seem to be the go to place. I would love to be able to raise a froglet but it seems they only sell adult frogs. That's OK though.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Considering getting X. borealis - Some questions

All species of Xenopus make excellent pets. I find them most interesting. X. borealis is an excellent choice. It is very colorful and the call is loud. I doubt that it is as loud as a parrot, but you may be surprised. In the wild, they are found in the highlands of eastern Africa at altitudes as high as 7,000 feet. A 20gallon tank should be able to handle 4-5 adult frogs. Would be best to have at least 2 frogs, not because they get lonely but they are entertaining. Keep the temperature around 70(F) or 21(C). Feeding is easy, they will readily take Repto-Min and an occasional night crawler as a treat. You have made an excellent choice and you will soon appreciate the Joys of Xenopus!
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information