Thread: Beginner questions

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Beginner questions

I am wanting to start my first ever terrarium with hope that I can put a Dart Frog or two in it some day. I have a 10 gallon Exo Terra with an Exo Terra mini compact light with a Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED 9W Bulb. I would like some thoughts and advice on my envisaged setup.

I'm trying to understand the water needs, I will only have live plants, springtails and dwarf white woodlice for a while until I learn to keep it stable, but I don't want to contaminate the terrarium with anything.

My questions are:

From what I've read/watched I can use tap water with reptisafe for the frogs, but not the plants right?

But for a fogger and misting it would have to be distilled or R/0 yes? But if the frogs need to drink that I'll need to add something to that water, will that ruin the fogger? I'm starting to get brain ache...

And if the humidity is above 80% the frogs will absorb the water from the mist and not need a drinking bowl?

My terrarium has a mesh lid, is that ok or would it be better sealed?

I have ordered the Exo Terra Thermo-Hygro Combometer, where does the probe need to go? There are those holes at the back of the Terrarium behind the background but surely the probe would be useless there right? Behind a plant maybe?

My build plan is:

Make a false bottom from eggcrate.

Add mesh on top of the crate.

Fill the sides with gravel.

I have 3 bags of activated carbon for my aquarium, put that over the mesh?

An ABG type mix over that.

Add fogger.

Add plants, I have 3 plants to start with; Ficus pumila, Fittonia, and a Bromeliad.

Learn to keep humidity 80-100% and temps 72-80f. Is that right?

Add more plants and get some froggies!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Beginner questions

I think the plants would be safe if you used prime to treat the water. I do a lot of aquatics and I love prime. It would be best to use RO water for your fogger though. It is definitely easier to keep the humidity up with a solid top rather than a screen top, so I generally prefer a solid top. If the humidity is above 80% you don't need a water bowl but I think that frogs enjoy a good soak every once in a while. The one thing that I would say about the amount of frogs is that it's better to have 3-4 frogs instead of 1-2. I hope you have good luck with your frogs!
    Last edited by megafrog; March 15th, 2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: misspellings.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Beginner questions

Hi Mega Frog, what do you reckon on the frogs getting their water from the mist if it's RO water, wouldn't it be missing the minerals they need?

Quote Originally Posted by megafrog View Post
    I think the plants would be safe if you used prime to treat the water. I do a lot of aquatics and I love prime. It would be best to use RO water for your fogger though. It is definitely easier to keep the humidity up with a solid top rather than a screen top, so I generally prefer a solid top. If the humidity is above 80% you don't need a water bowl but I think that frogs enjoy a good soak every once in a while. The one thing that I would say about the amount of frogs is that it's better to have 3-4 frogs instead of 1-2. I hope you have good luck with your frogs!

Thread Information