Thread: Grey tree frog (hyla versicolor) injured?

Default Grey tree frog (hyla versicolor) injured?

So move or delete if not appropriate, this is my first post here. Just trying to get some advice and answers.

I have a grey tree frog named Hitch. And last night my ***hole cat(s) found a way into his enclosure and I think ruffed him up a bit. He doesn't seem like he actually has any cuts. But both of his eyes seem like the eye lids are tore or inflamed or something and he seems a bit dazed or confused and possible cant see real good and maybe has a hurt back leg. It's his eyes I'm concerned about tho. I need some advice on if I should take him to the vets (which is over an hour away) or if i can do something and it'll clear up with some help. Or maybe he got cat hair in his eyes and it making like an allergic reaction? I'll attach a couple pics too. Any help would be appreciated thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Grey tree frog (hyla versicolor) injured?

'm no vet but he seems to have some blood on his lower lip? Maybe he was bleeding internally and some came out through his mouth? Or else the bleeding from his eyes ended up on his lip.

I'm sorry, it looks like his eyes are injured to me. If it was allergies I don't think they'd be bloody. As far as I know all there is to do is feed him vitamin dusted crickets, mostly leave him alone and hope he recovers.

Edit: I'd take him to the vet in case of internal injuries, but that's me.

I'm pretty sure that was just substrate on his lip. Washed him off after and didn't see any thing else. I also noticed tho his mouth isn't closing all the way. But he doesn't seem to be bloated or bruised. Don't you think there would be swelling if their was internal damage? I'm gonna call the vet tho. Might not get him in for a day or so. Getting like 2 feet of snow here.

Member needs to set country!

Poor little guy. Considering cat paws can have a lot of bacteria on them, I would seek something which can clean his wounds right away.

Do you by chance wear contacts? I've read of people having luck using a contact solution to help wounds heal and prevent infection. Maybe getting a cotton swab and dabbing it on the lid will help clean it. If you have any Neosporin without painkiller in it, you can also use this on his wound to help it heal. All else fails, if you have any non-iodized salt (it will say on the packaging if it does or doesn't), you can make a weak saline solution with warm, treated water and dab/drip some on there. Unfortunately, I don't have a water/salt ratio I can recommend, but to give you an idea, contact solution isn't even 1%, so you only need very little.

Seeing a vet would be best, it will likely be difficult to determine if there are internal injuries. To prevent possible infection, I would completely clean his tank and leave it pretty spartan; paper towels laid on the bottom, his water dish, and one or two things he can hide in or around.

Well the closest vet that would treat him is closed till atleast tomorrow. I actually don't have any salt. So that won't work but I do have regular Neosporin. You think dabbing a tiny amount around his eyes would be okay? Other than giving him a warm spring water bath and keeping him clean, that's the most I can do for him right now.

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy. Hopefully you went ahead with the Neosporin and he's doing all right.

Thats okay. Yes I did use the Neosporin he's seems to be doing all right for now just not moving a whole lot. I think he's just taking it easy.

That's good to hear. I'm sure he's still stressed from the ordeal and also in a little pain from the scratch, so him not being super active isn't too concerning as long as he's still eating and soaking.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Is he eating and moving properly? What do his eyes look like now?(cloudy? closed all the time?) An injury like that has a chance of causing blindness so keep an eye on him just in case!

Thread Information