Thread: Questions about behavior

Default Questions about behavior

I’ve recently found myself the new owner of a tiny African clawed frog. It’s only about the size of the pad of my finger and I’m unsure if it’s male or female. However, I’ve chosen to assume it’s male for the time being and named him Prince Charming. (I’ll make any adjustments needed in the future. lol) I have some questions about his behavior and what is “typical.” He frequently sits upright on the bottom of his tank with his arms and legs out to the side. It looks like he’s standing. I’m unfamiliar with signs of stress and not sure if this is normal behavior. What should I be watching for? Thanks so much!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Questions about behavior

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonEve View Post
    I’ve recently found myself the new owner of a tiny African clawed frog. It’s only about the size of the pad of my finger and I’m unsure if it’s male or female. However, I’ve chosen to assume it’s male for the time being and named him Prince Charming. (I’ll make any adjustments needed in the future. lol) I have some questions about his behavior and what is “typical.” He frequently sits upright on the bottom of his tank with his arms and legs out to the side. It looks like he’s standing. I’m unfamiliar with signs of stress and not sure if this is normal behavior. What should I be watching for? Thanks so much!

Hello there Amazon eve an welcome to the forum, your froglet is showing it's hunting stance" using his adept sensory system he/she awaits vibrations in the water which could provide a good meal# as soon as smell or vibrations detected they pounce and start there grab action front claws# so nothing to worry about P'S what foods have you started to feed him

Thank you for the welcome. For the moment, I’m feeding him the “Stage 2 Frog Nuggets” that came with him. But I’ve already done a fair amount of reading on this site and I see that the reptovite floating sticks are popular and good for him. So I’m ordering those. Another question. I have him in a 10 gallon tank. (I made sure to keep the water level at 12 inches so he could easily reach the surface to breathe.) He came with a very, very small cube that I knew had to be miserable to live in. My question is, with him being so tiny, how will I know he’s eating? He’s still very wary of me so never eats when I’m around. I’m also really unfamiliar with the stuff he does. Sometimes I see him hanging out near the surface and having kept fish in the past, I immediately assume the worst. I ultimately end up startling him which does nothing in the way of helping him trust me. It’s just very confusing. lol

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Thank you for the welcome. For the moment, I’m feeding him the “Stage 2 Frog Nuggets” that came with him. But I’ve already done a fair amount of reading on this site and I see that the reptovite floating sticks are popular and good for him. So I’m ordering those. Another question. I have him in a 10 gallon tank. (I made sure to keep the water level at 12 inches so he could easily reach the surface to breathe.) He came with a very, very small cube that I knew had to be miserable to live in. My question is, with him being so tiny, how will I know he’s eating? He’s still very wary of me so never eats when I’m around. I’m also really unfamiliar with the stuff he does. Sometimes I see him hanging out near the surface and having kept fish in the past, I immediately assume the worst. I ultimately end up startling him which does nothing in the way of helping him trust me. It’s just very confusing. lol

Hello again, I have no experience with froglets but hopefully a member will pop in soon, floating stix are a great idea will provide good nutrition also food not consumed easily removed# but not all frogs will eat from top my 2 never ever# but you mentioned your frogs basking a lot near top! This could be normal froglet behaviour until his lungs are properly developed also basking near top in wild any floating insects would make a good meal! So this could be a good time to train the frog that foods usually @ surface# just remember patience needed the sticks will have to be removed after said while otherwise they will break down slowly and decade the tank# likewise for sinking food you must gravel siphon frequently to remove decaying food and poo replenish eith treated water# as he grows he will learn and trust so no worries there
    Last edited by craig121; March 13th, 2018 at 11:38 PM.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

How deep is the tank' these guys prefer shallow water it's suggested the frog should be able stretch out and gulp air without swimming! Although as the grow older and gain more power in there legs the depths not as important

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Doh sorry misread post thought it meant 12 inches from top lol but tank setups perfect from what you say# as he grows feel free to add some depth

So far he’s coming along really well. �� He actually seems to prefer eating from the bottom as well. Should his tank be shallow right now with him being so small?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

So far he’s coming along really well. �� He actually seems to prefer eating from the bottom as well. Should his tank be shallow right now with him being so small?

I believe shallow long is preferred even in adulthood " these guys can swim but prefer small pools water with no flow" that being said they will adapt to taller tanks which are commen by design# I purchased a semi floating island thinking they would like to semi bask near top and never once seen them attempt to use# although 1 of mine lodges himself between the filter intake and glass right at top snout poking like a snorkel and lie in that position for hours#
    But your setups perfect just now

Thread Information