Thread: Does he have MBD or is he just...special?

Default Does he have MBD or is he just...special?

Hey there! So I have a Pac-Man frog named cheeseburger. He’s a really active, eats a lot of vitamin D3 dusted crickets, and has a nice humid house with a water bowl just in case and I even turn on the reptifogger from time to time despite always spraying to keep up the humidity.

Since he refuses to come out to eat while we’re awake, I never really see his bottom half. I don’t like holding him or digging him out so, because all the crickets are always gone the next day, I always just happily think he ate them and go one about my day.

Well the the other day he DID decide to come out when my husband and I were awake and I noticed his mouth looked really funny. The next day I took him out for a quick picture to show you guys. I want to make an appointment with my vet but sometimes I feel like I get such great information from people who personally keep reptiles and amphibians as pets. I’m gonna be so baffled if it’s MBD. Anyway I’ll insert a picture so you can see!
    Please don’t bite my head off for holding him for a quick pic Name:  DA426BCF-2075-4C78-B652-0CE4DEB60E58.jpeg
Views: 291
Size:  2.15 MBName:  798FA5D3-39A6-40E6-A73F-BBA723F12E36.jpeg
Views: 261
Size:  2.26 MB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: Does he have MBD or is he just...special?

I'm not thinking it's MBD since nearly all severe cases of it have the lower jaw sticking out like an underbite, and this little guy seems to have an overbite if I'm seeing things correctly? If you're able to, you can maybe nudge his mouth to see if it's firm or the bones have some give. Considering you've been giving him calcium with D3, I highly doubt that's why. Only things that come from mind is a unique developmental issue or maybe he somehow injured his mouth while eating, but only a vet can really determine what's up.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It could be deformation due to MBD or injury, only vet (X-rays) could tell you for sure
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Member needs to set country!

To me it looks like swelling or abscess from injury, weird it's on both sides though. MBD usually caused the jaw to hang open, not so much swell.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

How long have you had him? I would definitely take him to the vet just in case, but thats just me! How is he now? Could be a birth deformity, I caught a toad once that looked kinda like that and he appeared to be perfectly healthy.

Thread Information