Thread: My cool American Toads

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default My cool American Toads

I have been very excited with these two American Toads! The personality they have is great to watch. They have so much energy and are not boring like some toads. I would like the talk about my male Pious. He is truly making a name for himself! I put in large crickets for the toads to eat and he is a medium sized toad meaning he has room to grow but I've noticed him grabbing the large crickets just with his tongue. To most it's probably not very interesting to hear about a toad eating crickets but scientifically it is very interesting. Usually an adult who is much larger catches larger insects with their tongue but this toad is medium size. I am aware you are supposed to feed proper sized insects but these toads are not as small as they look on camera! I have him housed with a female his same size and in the same week a cricket overpowered her and escaped her grip from being eaten! Ace was very shocked the cricket could outmuscle her and this is quite unusual because she eats large crickets and she is very healthy and active. Usually amphibian species the female is always bigger and stronger and it's very rare to find a male amphibian who can even compete with the female let alone outcompete! I have never witnessed a male as strong or as dominant as Pious before and after the 125 gallon is complete I will make a small documentary on Pious about how truly impressive he is. I'm looking at next week to release the video conclusion for the animals of the 75 Gallon! I love my female Ace who is the toad that's a lighter brown in the last picture and she is a dominant hunter and very exciting to watch, but there is something special about Pious as a hunter and I can't wait to see how he adapts in the 125 Gallon. Will he maintain his status as the alpha? Or will an unsuspecting toad or Wood Frog challenge him for the spot? That will be answered soon. Pious doesn't bully Ace they coexist very peaceful and enjoy one another's company so Ace will be no slouch inside the 125 Gallon as well. As she grows larger will it be enough for her to over take Pious? It will be hard to outcompete her as an adult because she is a very good and active hunter. What do you guys think? Is it possible that there can be multiple dominant amphibians inside a large enclosure like this 125 Gallon? I want to hear your input and I will be answering these questions from my perspective in the next post

You guys can follow this build in the other frogs and toads part of the forum. It's called 125 Gallon PA Woods Vivarium

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My cool American Toads

Hey, those are some nice, healthy looking toads!
    I don't know that I'd call toads 'dominant' necessarily. Competitive for food, yeah. But then I've never kept toads, especially this species.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Hey, those are some nice, healthy looking toads!
    I don't know that I'd call toads 'dominant' necessarily. Competitive for food, yeah. But then I've never kept toads, especially this species.
    Thanks they are very healthy and fat! Yes even though it's not commonly documented this species is dominant. I had one years ago with another male starve the other one and stress it out. That's why I'm using a 125 gallon for 2 pairs in hopes that this doesn't happen with that much room and two females

5. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

https://youtu.be/yTjswDCQgb4

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries