Thread: WTF Skin Infection

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Member needs to set country!

Exclamation WTF Skin Infection

Hey everyone! Since late January, I have had some troubles with my 9 year-old WTF Moochy. It started off with some cloudiness in her left eye. I took her in to the vet, got some oflaxacin eye drops, and used them as prescribed by the vet. After the regiment, her eye didn't look any worse or better, so I decided to wait it out and see how she progressed from there. Her eye is still the same, but this prior Sunday (six days ago), I noticed her back was getting bumpy. By Tuesday, there were more bumps and some even started to look like little whitehead pimples. I got into the vet on Wednesday (three days ago) and was prescribed silver sulfadiazine cream. The vet tried to get a scraping of one of the bumps to look at it (under a microscope, I think?), but he couldn't make any direct conclusion and kindly didn't charge me for that part. I was also unable to grab a good fecal sample to get analyzed; they were always too dry to be useful by the time I found them, but they were a concern since they were runnier than normal.

I'm not sure how fast results usually are when using this cream, but I feel there are more little white bumps than when I brought her in. Is it a case of getting worse before getting better? It's really hard for me to tell because Moochy has been seemingly unaffected by her current state. Her weight hasn't changed, she's still eating, displaying her usual little behaviors. She is downright feisty when I've applied the cream, swiping her little hands at the cotton swab and even kicking her legs at it. It's been the silver lining in all this and the only assurance she could make a full recovery.

If anyone has any advice for how to proceed, I would really appreciate it. I'll be continuing the silver sulfadiazine cream as told by the vet, but I may call in on Monday to request proceeding to oral antibiotics, which was going to be the next step if the cream was ineffective. Part of the trouble is not knowing if what she has is fungal or bacterial in origin and my searching on the internet seemed fruitless.

I should also note Moochy has a 9 year-old tankmate named Fatty. She has shown zero signs of infection and will hopefully remain that way since they're now in separate tanks and the prior one has been thoroughly cleaned.

Last edited by Bynny Ribbit; February 24th, 2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: fixed image sizing

Thread Information