Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTF Skin Infection

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: WTF Skin Infection

Quote Originally Posted by BossFrog View Post
    Thanks for keeping us posted, this is really interesting! Hope she gets better!
    It has been quite the journey! I'm glad people are finding it interesting and hopefully informational.

Poor Moochy has it rough. I took her in today for her bloat and my vet is pretty sure it's septicemia considering all her other ailments, so she was prescribed the infamous Baytril for transdermal treatment. At this point, I have to imagine there's an ending coming soon. Either this treats her bloat (and hopefully a few other things) and she goes back to at least mostly normal, or it doesn't work and the bloat is actually caused by kidney disease...which there is no treatment for. It's hard to think that I've been fighting for her this long and she might end up needing to be euthanized. But Moochy is fighting, too; my vet is astonished to know that, despite everything, she is still eating and exploring her tank at night like any normal frog. Such a strong gal. Makes me hopeful! Regardless, she has two weeks of treatment to go through, so we'll see how things go.

I should also mention her left eye is being troublesome. The white mark on it has grown and the pupil doesn't dilate as much as the other one (which my vet mentioned could be due to inflammation in the eye, I think). This was one of the very first things I tried treating her for and it persisted after the two weeks I put drops in it. It didn't seem to bother her too much, but now it's something to keep an eye on.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hello again! Just wanted to mention my other thread for Moochy here if you want to read more about her edema concerns. I didn't want to clutter this thread with it since it was focusing on her skin condition.

Although her bloating has become my main concern, it seems Baytril may be helping her skin issues?

It's definitely less bumpy, though you can still see some of the "mottling" between colors that she's had from this condition.

I know Baytril is one of those things prescribed too often when other, gentler solutions are available...but maybe it's what was needed in this case. Hopefully it will resolve most of her problems and I can put an end to medications and vet visits.

EDIT: The white stuff on her left side is calcium powder, for the curious, lol.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm sorry, I hope she lives, or that it's painless.

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    I'm sorry, I hope she lives, or that it's painless.
    Thank you for your thoughts. I'm getting less and less choked up at the thought of losing her; although she could live longer, she's had a pretty good life for 9 years. Focusing on the positive (her long life) vs. the negative (her passing away) is helping me cope. Who knows, I may be getting ahead of myself since she's still a happy frog despite her issues.

Moochy finished her regiment of Baytril a bit ago and is looking pretty good. Her little skin pimples survived the Baytril...whatever it is, it seems to be hardy. There is a lot less of it compared to before, at least. I'll try bumping up her daytime temps since that helped her a lot before.

Her right eye started to get cloudy during her Baytril medications. Thankfully, I still had eye drops from her first excursion with eye issues, and that seems to have helped. It's hard to say if her issue with bloating is resolved because I had to give her medication through crickets...so she's definitely put on some weight. She's been put on a diet so I can tell for sure.

I want so badly to put her back in with Fatty since the quarantine tank is so minimal. When they were together and Moochy had all these spots, Fatty wasn't affected by them, so I'm unsure if they're even contagious. If I could just start getting the new tank together that would help a lot, but it hasn't been possible with vet bills on top of other expenses. I might try selling some of my collectibles just so I can afford what I need. That way, I can at least move Fatty to the new tank and then Moochy can live in the old one, all else fails.

So...100% sure there are parasites living in Moochy's skin. I know it was talked about in the past, but we never confirmed the idea or had evidence to back it up save for other methods failing to help her. The way I discovered it was a soak for Moochy in a Melafix bath. I attempted to let her sit in a stronger solution for a few minutes, something I didn't pursue again as it irritated her, unfortunately. However, the silver lining from the attempt was these long, stringy things started floating out of some of her sores after the soak...very obviously wormy parasites of some kind. Looking back, we starting a panacur treatment, but it was stopped when we thought she was having some bloating issues, so it was never resolved if parasites were the issue. I had never noticed these long worms before this point when doing the saline soaks, and I feel bad that I may have missed the evidence before this point.

She's scheduled to see the vet this Wednesday, hopefully we can figure out a solution to finally get her 100% again. Until then, I'll continue to keep her tank on the higher end of her temperature tolerance during the day as it's the best temporary solution to controlling the pest population on her skin. I should also note that her poop has zero evidence of any organisms to the naked eye, so it seems they are only living on her externally. It's very strange!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information