Thread: toad not eating.

Exclamation toad not eating.

i try to feed my american toad who is 2 inches nightcrawlers. she gets them inm her mouth but spits them out. please help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: toad not eating.

I've noticed this happens during the winter. They are used to hibernating during this time of year. The only problem with this from what I've found is that the frogs don't eat after winter sometimes which leads to their death. It sounds like your toad is interested in eating a bit so I'm not sure if her wanting to go into hibernation is the cause. I'm no expert but it's just an idea. Many of my frogs who do ths don't do it the following winter which makes things a lot less stressful.

Nationality
    [United States]

One of my toads is like this and the other is not. Try superworms, they move and crawl a lot which might help stimulate your toad to eat. My "hibernating" toad has gone over a month without eating. I was worried at first but she is doing fine. She woke up and was real sluggish at first and her tongue coordination was way off. It took her about 20 tries to get her dinner. She's good now and doesn't miss at all. Your toad will eat. Even though they are inside they still are animals of habit and instinct. They know what time of year it is to shut it down. Given they are inside and affected by the warmth their hibernating cycle doesn't quite fully kick in and hence you have a sluggish toad that doesn't want to eat all the time. That's my theory anyways.

thx for the help!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The problem could be the kind of earthworms you are giving it. If it's red wrigglers then your toad just doesn't accept them. Some toads will some won't it's personality. If you have higher humidity and temps in the 70's the toad should be active and not need to hibernate. Some toads will dig down and become dormant for some time and there can be various reasons why. BTW if you feed just night crawlers and the toad doesn't like red wrigglers it will accept the night crawlers. They know the difference

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thread Information