Thread: New Tree Frog not doing well

Unhappy New Tree Frog not doing well

Hello, recently I just purchased a Cuban tree frog and it doesn't seem to be doing well. I turned towards here in hopes to find some answers or at least an idea as to what to do. I got her about five days ago, and she has not eaten yet - but I read that could be due to stress. She has a small bruise looking injury above her eye that looks to be healing, and an injury on the tip of her nose that looks to already be healed over.
    Unfortunately, I'm beginning to get more worried about her due to the lack of eating. At night, she also doesn't move around much, and during the day I often find her sitting on the ground near her log. I am wondering if perhaps she is sick, or still stressed about having been moved around a bit. Should should worried or observe her a bit longer before jumping to any conclusions?

I appreciate all the help I could get.
    Thanks,
    Puppeteer & Gunther
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Tree Frog not doing well

That eye does not look good as far as I can tell, but it may just be angle of the photo. There's a chance the frog may not be moving because of injury or pain.

How long has the frog not been eating? I would try to tempt it by offering bugs more frequently, and if all else fails, it is possible to force feed a frog by prying its jaw open with a credit card. However, this is likely to be so stressful for the frog that I don't know that it would be worth it.

It had been over a week since she had eaten, so I managed to force feed her. After a few minutes, after she swallowed, she was climbing and moving around a lot. After I put her back in her tank, I waited a few hours and found her soaking and moving around later that night. She seems to be doing better, but still does not go after the crickets just yet.

I feel like I may have to feed her a few times before she begins eating on her own, but getting food into her system seemed to liven her up.

Nationality
    [United States]

It looks like the frog has a infection in its right eye u can try giving vitamin dust on the food that u give it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ]Austin

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I forgot to mention another way to liven up a lethargic frog is to give it a bath with water and a little unflavored Pedialyte to restore its electrolites. Or if you just want to energize the frog enough that it might try to eat, a bath with a drop of honey might do it. The honey thing is also used in frogs who have impactions/constipation.

Vitamins can help prevent eye problems but that kind of looks like an injury to me. I don't know though.

Thread Information