Thread: Red Eye Tree Frog Build

Default Red Eye Tree Frog Build

Hey everyone! I'm building a vivarium for some red eye tree frogs. I used a 100 gallon 36'' tall exo terra for this build in which I created my custom background using great stuff foam, silicon, cork rounds and flats and a few net cups. I used elevated egg crate to create my false bottom and added a small tube hidden in the back of the vivarium for siphoning. Still debating whether I need a MistKing setup or if hand misting will suffice, anyone have any experience with these? I don't want to have a problem where I am siphoning every week due to too much watering. I am currently using two large undertank heaters insulated with styrofoam, this has gotten my temps up to 77 in the day and about 72 at night, i also supplement my heating using a zilla mini halogen/ uvb bulb fixture (i think heating has been my largest obstacle with such a large vivarium and not wanting to add too much dry heat since it will house frogs). To increase airflow I have two ultra quiet computer fans capable of 22 cfm (one pushing air in and another pulling air out on opposite ends) with speed controller so I can turn it way down. I'll also probably end up covering one of the portions of the top to retain some more heat but not too worried about heating because I have it a decent level and where I am it's about the coldest it gets all year. For my plant lighting I'm currently running a finnex 36" planted 24/7 unit but want to add another or go with something like the EVO quad ( Big thanks to Josh for the recomendations!!). The plants i currently have include a money tree, golden pothos (which will be trailng down from the top right), watermelon papermonia(which ill train up an exo terra jungle vine as I find the vines too fake looking), purple nerve plant (ground cover), vanilla planforia(ill train this up the left side), peace lilly(partially overtop the watering bowl), a unknown purplish plant I got from a local pet store (they had no idea what it was) and an absolute zero cryptanthus. My bromeliad species ( in net cups surrounded by hydrogrow) include Mo Peppa Please, Wild Tiger, and fireball. I also have a variety of air plants affixed to the background using a hot glue gun. I'm still torn on whether to take the money plant out and switch it with a snake plant but I'm gonna let it grow out a bit and decide later on. Also looking to get a moss slurry and spread it over varies areas of the vivarium including my great stuff foam ledge which would look very nice covered in moss. Just when I think I'm done I always find a new plant I want to fit. Do you guys have any suggestions for any Ferns? I was thinking rabbit's foot but open to suggestions. I just added my springtail culture and giant orange isopods today, unfortunately, my purple dwarfs were all dead on arrival due to this cold weather we've been having. I won't be adding any frogs for a few months as I want the vivarium to grow in a lot more before thinking of inhabitants. I think that about covers what i have right now, definitely more to be added and ill be posting further pictures once its grown in.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Red Eye Tree Frog Build

This is a really awesome set-up. The wood placement and background look fantastic, and I love how you're giving the frogs so much room. I love the ledge you created. Don't get frustrated, though, when the frogs just chill on the glass all day. For some reason, they just really love glass. I've never seen bromeliads placed in net pots with LECA before. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I usually just pin the bromeliads with some sphagnum moss around the roots to the background or various pieces of wood. I think some trailing plants like pilea depressa or pilea glauca would look really good in a net pot too.

By the way, I finished by 24x18x36 build, and I did use a snake eyes LED quad light, along with the finnex, and the combination really is fantastic. For a tank this large, I think a mistking really would be best. You can hand mist, but it will take ages. Plus, your hand muscles will start to cramp. I hand misted my tank for a week before the mistking came in, and it took forever. Besides, a mistking sprays so finely that you really do just cover all corners of the tank.

Once again, I love the build. Please show us any updates, I'd love to see this grown in. Let me know if you need any plant suggestions and/or any advice.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hey Josh I took your advice with the bromeliads and have mounted them to the cork background. Additionally I added another 5 bromeliads haha. In the net cups I placed some baby tears, wandering Jew and a Korean rock fern which were very small when acquired so it’ll be a few weeks Until they fill the net cups. I just ordered a mist king and I’m wondering if it’s worth it to drill the side and install a drainage bulkhead? I currently have a pvc tube leading through my false bottom to siphon out water but will I have to do that quiet often with a mistking? How often do you guys who have the pvc tube method have to siphon out water?

Nationality
    [United States]

Honestly, if you balance out your misting properly, you almost never have to siphon. I wouldn’t risk drilling post build, especially on a tank this large. The surface area if the false bottom is so large that the water tends to evaporate enough to the point that you shouldn’t have to siphon. Even if you do, it shouldn’t happen too often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information