Thread: LF Quality custom vivarium/paludarium builder

Default LF Quality custom vivarium/paludarium builder

I've been on the hunt for over a year now for a high-quality custom builder to make me a vivarium-paludarium for my Cope's Gray Tree Frogs, and perhaps depending on cost and quality, another setup for future frogs as well. The search has been absolutely maddening, with most search results yielding nothing, and with what few great potential prospects either being defunct, thus not returning calls, or only serving their local areas, which of course never happen to be anywhere near me (Evansville, IN).

I'm sure the first obvious response would be for me to build my own, but I am NOT a handy person, and have the opposite of a green-thumb. On top of that, living in an apartment means I have a very limited amount of space (none of which is suitable for such a project), and to top it off, a bad back and neck that severely limit my ability to engage in anything that would have me stooping over a project for very long at all. While their current homes are certainly nothing bad, I feel they deserve only the absolute best, but trying to provide that for them has proven absurdly difficult. I've recently even considered contacting the local zoo to see if they have contacts for such things, but I fear that costs from a vendor that is used to making orders for institutions like a zoo would be ridiculously expensive.

If anyone here can help point me to a reputable, quality source, I would be forever in your debt, and getting the homes my little guys deserve would really mean everything to me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: LF Quality custom vivarium/paludarium builder

You might try Animal Plastics or one of the other reptile cage builders. I unfortunately can't be of more help.
    Last year I built my own paludarium, but I needed somebody to provide the tempered glass for the doors. Just the glass, that's it. I called and visited many glass shops, only to have them either not return my calls, or treat me rudely, or flat out refuse to help my. Not lucrative enough, I guess. That's the downside of an improving economy.
    You might find a local "handyman" type who might build it to your specifications for a reasonable price. If you do, my first suggestion would be to be very explicit in describing what you need, and to supervise the construction very carefully. My second suggestion would be to not pay until it is complete.

I've looked into Animal Plastics before, and they really don't offer what I'm looking for, unfortunately. I'm far more interested in the interior fabrication and planting of the landscape/background than the exterior, as it were. Either way, thanks for the feedback!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

My only other suggestion is networking with other hobbyists locally, maybe somebody else has built something similar to what you want. Your local herp pet shop might have leads, too.

That's a really interesting idea. I have looked a little into trying to find other herpers in the area to see what they might know online, but I never thought to check through pet stores and the like. That gives me a few ideas. Thank you!

Thread Information