Thread: Brand new Pacman not eating

Unhappy Brand new Pacman not eating

Hi,

I recently purchased a baby Pacman frog over the mail and for some reason she's eaten barely anything at all (1 or 2 crickets) in my first 3 days of having her. I'm regularly misting her tank, trying to get the temp up with a bulb and heat pad on side of tank, but still no hotter than 72 or 73 degrees. I've only tried feeding her crickets so far, also not using any tongs (didn't think it was a big deal but maybe it is). Any idea if something's wrong with her, or she's just spooked from the new environment?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Brand new Pacman not eating

I’ve been having a similar problem with my baby Pacman too. My temps were about 70, and my guy actually went into estivation I think. He burrowed down into the substrate and covered himself with it. The temps actually need to be higher, between 80-85 during the day and 75-80 F at night. I bought a ceramic heating bulb and also have the heating pad on the side of the tank and got the temps up to low 80’s. Once the tank was warm enough, I took him out of the ground and put him in a warm bath that was 1 part pedialyte and 10 parts water, and let him soak for about an hour. He shed off his skin and ate it, then he just kind of sat there for a while. I put 5 small crickets in his tank and he didn’t eat them...now he’s been sitting in the same spot for about a week. So I would first start by raising the temperature of your tank closer to 80 and see if that helps. I would also recommend the pedialyte or honey bath if he doesn’t eat in a few days, it really seemed to help my guy. Now just gotta figure out how to get him to eat...going to try some worms tomorrow and see if that works

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Brand new Pacman not eating

If you cover 3 sides this helps them settle and this way they cant see out from all sides. You temps have to come up to the low 80's and humidity somewhere in between 70% and 80%, 80 is the highest the humidity should be. You could him/her a little bit more substrate also just enough so it can bury itself, if it cant bury itself completely it will make them feel vulnerable. This is one of there natural instincts that we should really give them the chance to do, they bury to get out of the heat and direct sunlight but also to stay hidden from predators. If the enclosure isn't in a low traffic room you should try and put it in one, the loud voices and stuff will scare the frog and if it cant bury it will make the frog even more stressed. All in all though I think the main problems are the heat and that the frog is still settling, get those temps up and fix the other things and your frog should come around. Also remember to use declorinator in the water for the dish and for expanding the substrate, and you can use distilled to mist the glass. To get your heat up you can cover 3/4 of the top with some tin foil and this will help trap in the heat and humidity. Also if its just a baby sometimes the big enclosure can stress him out so if you want you can divide the tank in half with some sort of divider or keep him in a small or medium sized kritter keeper till he grows into the bigger enclosure.

Thread Information