Thread: new build

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Talking new build

hi guys , i wanted to share some pics of my first pdf viv. but i cant suss out how to attach them am i being stupid

ahh,, lol getting somewhere, although i have no idea if they can be enlarged

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  549.9 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  591.1 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  467.1 KBName:  44.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  790.7 KBName:  55.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  785.6 KBName:  66.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  484.6 KB

well thats not quite how i wanted to show them, oh well , im really pleased so far , jm gonna get frogs
    in 3 or 4 weeks when its bedded in a bit. not quite sure what to go for yet though. ive got a glass lid with
    2 corners nipped off but with no holes for ventilation yet. humidity is 90 100. with a jungle dawn led light.
    got some lovely pics i want to share when i find out how to properly.

wow theyre massive lol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: new build

Humidity is high 90-100. Should I get some ventilation holes drilled in glass top? Or maybe put a small pc fan in the viv ? Any comments or advice would be well received. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

How can I have 70 views and no feedback ?. I'm gutted no-one has replied lol

Nationality
    [United States]

First time seeing this, sorry. I assume your entire top is glass, judging from the humidity? It's usually best to have either a vent that covers around 20% of the top of the tank, or large holes drilled in with mesh siliconed on top (this is really for those who know how to drill glass well). Passive ventilation is your best friend, which is essentially the movement of air between the vents under the doors and the vent on top of the tank (once it's there). Having a completely sealed up tank with that high of humidity is an outdated practice. It was realized that at those humidities, PDFs have a very difficult time regulating their temperature through evaporation due to the high humidity. 80% is really what should be sought after in terms of humidity. If you need pictures of a vent, I'd be happy to show you. They're really simple to build actually, you just have to get the supplies first.

The only other thing I would recommend is to get a much thicker layer of leaf litter down. I know that the moss looks good, but the leaf litter not only provides a warren of hides and tunnels for the frogs, but also provides food and nutrients for any isopods, springtails, or other detritivores in the soil layer. Plus, you can always have moss grow over the leaf litter later on.

I like the use of ABG on the background instead of peat moss/eco earth, plus you'll have some really good nutrients on the background for epiphytes. I also like the two-sided background, that's kind of how I have my 18x18x24 set up, and I think it makes for a very nice look, especially when placed in a corner. What are the two plants directly up front? There's one in the middle that I know I've seen before, and the one directly to the right of it up front looks like a peperomia species.

Overall, a very nice build, especially as a first tank, and it will look even better once grown in. Would love to know what species you're putting in.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Hey Josh, thanks. I'm not sure of the plant species, I just bought a load a chucked them in.I'll see if I can find out. As for the frogs Im probably gonna get some tinks.leaning towards azureus at the moment

Nationality
    [United States]

Beautiful frogs, I'm sure that you'll love them.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information