Thread: Need Advice On My White's Tree Frog Please

Default Need Advice On My White's Tree Frog Please

Hello,

I have a White's tree frog named Poe. I've had him for around 3 years, but have absolutely no idea how old he was when I got him.

I'm looking for some advice. For the last 3 weeks I noticed that he sits in the same spot on top of a log hide, which isn't much bigger than he is. He goes to soak in his water dish, but he hasn't climbed in about 3 weeks. His favorite spot was always a ledge towards the top of the tank.

I have lots of stuff for him to climb on, I'm just not sure if he can anymore. Does this species stop climbing and perfer to stay low as they age?

What I'd like to get an opinion on is if I should get a wider cage so he has more floor space? I usually go for height over width, but if he can't climb anymore...

His current set up is an exo-terra tank.
    Length- 12 inches
    Width- 12 inches
    Height- 18 inches

Heat comes from a UTH on the back of the tank. The tank stays around 80°F during the day and drops to 75°F at night.

Humidity I keep at 60%.

I do use a UVB bulb that is on during the day. He seemed to always like having it on.

He is hand fed Dubai roaches. The hand feeding part is kind of a long story.

Like I said in the beginning I have no idea how old he is, I've had him for 3 years. I don't think he had a very nice home before I got him. But that's a long story (directly related to the hand feeding).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: Need Advice On My White's Tree Frog Please

My girls are about 9 years old and still happily climbing, so not sure if and when that could change due to age. Have you recently cleaned his enclosure? Last time I did, one of my girls only wanted to hide under a plant on the ground for a few weeks, but she eventually returned to her other favored spots. It could be a comfort thing since it does look like a well-hidden spot to stay safe in from a froggy perspective. As long as he has a good appetite and is otherwise healthy, it could possibly just be a phase.

Poe is very cute, btw.

4. This member thanks Bynny Ribbit for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bynny Ribbit View Post
    My girls are about 9 years old and still happily climbing, so not sure if and when that could change due to age. Have you recently cleaned his enclosure? Last time I did, one of my girls only wanted to hide under a plant on the ground for a few weeks, but she eventually returned to her other favored spots. It could be a comfort thing since it does look like a well-hidden spot to stay safe in from a froggy perspective. As long as he has a good appetite and is otherwise healthy, it could possibly just be a phase.

Poe is very cute, btw.
    Thank you. I cleaned the tank about 2 weeks ago. I too don't know if the climbing is age related or not, it might not even be possible that they stop climbing with age. It would make it hard to escape predators. I'm a bit reassured that it could be a phase. (Also, I think he's lazy)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

older tree frogs can be lazy, but they don't stop climbing altogether. I'd be concerned about calcium deficiency which can impact muscles. Or if he's only doing it in winter it could be a temperature thing.

Thread Information