Thread: My Grey Tree Frog keeps doing this weird thing with her legs

Default My Grey Tree Frog keeps doing this weird thing with her legs

This is Squidge, she is fond of wedging herself in the corners of her vivarium (thus the name) but when she does, sometimes her back legs flip outwards really strangely. I think it's just a quirk but I wanted to ask if anyone else has tree frogs that do this, or if they think it may be related to some sort of problem. Currently my working theory is that she sticks in the corner, slides down the glass a little, and that causes her back feet to rotate away from the glass.

Name:  20180124_071500.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  2.63 MB

Name:  20180128_235359.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  2.95 MB

Just as a bit of history, I raised her from a tadpole and she's currently living in a 18x18x24 vivarium with two other greys. She can be a little slower to eat than her roommates, so sometimes I have to take her out to feed her on her own. She eats crickets dusted with reptocal and reptivite on alternate days. She isn't growing quite as fast as her siblings, but is cleared of parasites. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: My Grey Tree Frog keeps doing this weird thing with her legs

Just remembered that I had asked about this. I guess the frog forum didn't have any ideas?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I really didn't have any ideas. Tree frogs are surprisingly flexible, but that seems extreme. It could be unusually loose joints?

I'd want to make sure the frog got a calcium supplement, even though I don't think the bendiness is caused by bones. If the frog was that deficient I don't think it would be moving so much. The supplement and some source of UVB couldn't hurt though.

Haha, I was in the same boat myself. Like I kept looking at her (and sometimes prodding her) and despite the fact that it looks really weird when she does it, it doesn't seem to bother her any.

I already give her reptocal + D3 every other day (and I handfeed everyone so I know she's getting her supplements) but it hadn't occurred to me to try a UVB bulb. I'll get one in my travels today and put it in her favorite squidging spot.

Member needs to set country!

Much like elly, no idea or experience with a super flexible froggy. Considering your care, best I can guess is it's a developmental issue that may have affected the joints in her legs. Seems like you just have a unique little dude.

Thread Information