Thread: Concerned one of my Whites Tree Frogs isn’t eating

Default Concerned one of my Whites Tree Frogs isn’t eating

I recently acquired a new whites tree frog to accompany my other whites tree frog. I introduced them to each other about 3 weeks ago, and they seem to get along with no problems, in fact my old frog seems very happy to have a companion after years of being alone.

However the newest frog is very shy, he’s scared of any kind of light and hides when he sees humans. He spends most of his time in a hollowed out log, he definitely comes out when we’re asleep, as he’ll be muddy some days and then not the next. Our old frog isn’t scared of light of humans at all, which means that we see a lot more of him.

My main concern is that I haven’t seen the newest frog eat anything yet. I don’t think he’s being bullied, but the old established frog is very quick to jump around the tank and eat the locusts. We try to put the locusts in just before we go to sleep when they’re both sat in the log to give them a fair chance, but this means we have no idea which frog is eating how much.

Ive considered taking him out of the vivarium to feed him in a little tub, but he’s so shy I’m not sure that this is a good idea. We’ve waved locusts in front of him to no avail.

Ive also considered taking the hollow logs out so they’re forced to hide less, but they both seem to enjoy sleeping in the logs and I don’t want to disturb their habitat.

Im terrifies that I’ll find the poor lil guy dead one day! Does anyone have any suggestions?

edit: this is my first post so sorry if it doesn’t meet the forum guidelines!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Concerned one of my Whites Tree Frogs isn’t eating

hello! i have two whites’ tree frogs as well that display opposite behavior- one is shy and hides often but is a voracious eater, and the other seems more active but is harder to feed. i think your frogs might just have different personalities, and if you think the new friend is not eating it is better to isolate him with food and make sure he eats than to worry about scaring him and let him starve. i put my finicky frog in a little tank alone with crickets sometimes, and although she doesn’t like it at first, it ensures that she is fed and feeling healthy! maybe once your frog is well-fed, he will feel better about coming out of his shell a little? i hope this helps- i am no expert and would appreciate advice from someone who knows better because of my slow frog! good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by moony View Post
    hello! i have two whites’ tree frogs as well that display opposite behavior- one is shy and hides often but is a voracious eater, and the other seems more active but is harder to feed. i think your frogs might just have different personalities, and if you think the new friend is not eating it is better to isolate him with food and make sure he eats than to worry about scaring him and let him starve. i put my finicky frog in a little tank alone with crickets sometimes, and although she doesn’t like it at first, it ensures that she is fed and feeling healthy! maybe once your frog is well-fed, he will feel better about coming out of his shell a little? i hope this helps- i am no expert and would appreciate advice from someone who knows better because of my slow frog! good luck!
    Yes I think I might give this a go! I was worried about him being too stressed to eat if isolated like that, but I think it’s worth trying. I’ll have a go tomorrow and give an update

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have to do this with many of my frogs, especially in the winter. They get pretty irritated about me putting them in a tub, but they eat and go back to doing whatever they once I put them back in their home. Good luck!

I tried this and he just ignores the locust even if it’s standing on him. I know from his previous owners that he eats locusts so I don’t think that’s the problem.

I think im going to remove the logs so that he’s somewhat forced to look around more instead of sitting in darkness inside of a small log all day and night. In his previous viv he just had plants.
    Thanks for responding

Nationality
    [United States]

As someone who just had a very, very poor experience with a new frog being stressed out, I would just suggest to leave him be. When I took my frog to the vet, they emphasized that its more about weight loss than eating or not eating. From what I hear, a lot of frogs take weeks to adjust and to feel safe. So if he doesn't look like he's losing weight and isn't visibly sick, I might give him some more time to come out of his (literal) shell, haha. I was a helicopter mother to my frog when he didnt eat, which ended up making him more immuno-compromised than he already was. I learned my lesson the hard way, I would hate for anyone to go through the same thing. =/

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I've lost two toads from not eating. I didn't take them out to eat much, and they died from starvation. I don't know how long you personally would want to wait but you may end up needing to take him to the vet. Just see how things go and do what you think is best.

I was wary of removing the logs but it seems to be going okay. The new frog while still shy I’ve seen him out and about more often and he doesn’t immediatly hide as soon as he sees me anymore.

He is looking quite thin though, I’m still yet to see him eat anything. At least I can monitor his size at the moment because he’s not able to fully hide for days.

He could be eating for all I know, so I’m not sure when would be appropriate to take him to the vets

He seems a lot better! Has been climbing every where and doesn’t run away when he sees us anymore. I think because hd spent so much time hiding he never had a chance to get used to us.
    Name:  4C08AC88-3C41-40BF-85EC-6D7F9D37A7AF.jpeg
Views: 217
Size:  143.7 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Sometimes my White's doesn't eat unless I dust the insects, but that might not be the case with yours.

Thread Information