Thread: Robertus? Maybe something else?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Robertus? Maybe something else?

Hi there!

So last year at the NARBC Tinley, I got my first dart frog. He's doing great, growing well, eating like a champ, very gregarious. However, I've tried to find some information on his... line? locale?? i'm not sure what you'd call it. He's a "Dendrobates Tinctorius Robertus" or so he was sold to me as such. It's been tough finding information on that specific animal, and I'm not so sure he is what he was sold as, mostly because I know next to nothing about identifying dart frogs. Here is a video of him, if anybody wants to take a guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUSydyEpG1k

Anyway, thanks y'all. I'd appreciate whatever info I can get on the little guy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Robertus? Maybe something else?

The genus is Dendrobates, the species tinctorius, and the 'robertus' refers to the locale of the frog. Sometimes this locale is named after a location, sometimes it may even be given a vernacular name. For example, I have dendrobates auratus 'costa-rican green and black', but other people have dendrobates auratus 'highland bronze' or dendrobates auratus 'hawaiian'. The locale denotes the specific region/area from which that frog is found, which can be determined by differences in pattern and coloration within the same species. Though locales are of the same species and can breed, it is highly discouraged that you interbreed locales, as it could result in lines and locales becoming muddied and cause us to lose that "pure-bred" lineage back to the wild specimens.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information