Thread: I'm Getting a FROG Soon!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Question I'm Getting a FROG Soon!

Hello, I'm Ellie. My username is Taako because that will be my frog's name. I'm hoping to get a green tree frog. So basically I'm getting a frog soon, like in the spring/summer.
    I'm gonna need some help, big-time. I'll appreciate any help I can get!
    So I'm wondering:
    -Is it OK to buy a used heater for my frog?
    -How old the frog I buy be?
    -What brand should I use for food? I'll be catching insects for Taako in the summertime, but I can't exactly do that in the wintertime :3
    -How often should I clean out its cage?
    -How many green tree frogs can live in one ten-gallon aquarium?
    -Which get sick more easily - males or females?
    -I'm hoping to only get one. How big should its pond be?
    I'm also hoping you guys could give me some tips. Any tips will do!
    Thanks,
    Ellie & the To-Be Taako.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: I'm Getting a FROG Soon!

As far as food, there are many pet stores that sell things such as crickets and a variety of worms that are great things to feed your frog.

Most people tend to clean their tank about once a month, using no harsh chemicals

The water bowl does not have to be huge, but it should be big enough for the frog to move around in

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

BUy vitamin suppliments at your local petstore or online for your frog. I didn't know this was needed until recently.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Yes you can buy a used heater providing it works. Tree frogs like crickets and other gut filling bugs which you can buy from pet shops. Don't forget to calcium dust them at least once a week. Ten gallon should be ok for 2 frogs but they prefer a bit bigger.
    One frog will be ok on its own though. I only have one golden tree frog and he's happy.

Have fun with your new frogs, they're great animals to keep.
    Smile

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

What kind of green tree frog? American? Australian (whites/dumpy)? You'll need a thermometer and hygrometer to measure temperature and humidity in either case. The requirements for temperature might be different for the different species. I'd probably keep one in at least a ten gallon. (Yeah, they're small, but they like to move around a lot.)

Catching bugs outdoors would be better if you had a native frog because the frog might be more tolerant of the parasites in outdoor bugs. However, in captivity, sometimes parasites can build up in the tank, re-infecting the same frog until it gets sick. Indoor bred crickets/ bugs might have fewer parasites. You can also feed nightcrawlers to White's but you'll have to cut them up into manageable pieces which is gross.

If you just have coconut husk or something as substrate you'll need to change it every month. (I think. There's a care sheet both for white's and american green frogs at the top of the Tree Frogs section on the forum.) If you use paper towels it'll need to be every 1-2 days. You can also set up a "living vivarium" with plants, grow lights, and eco earth that can basically be left alone forever. Or you could use very shallow water with places to climb out and a filter.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have an American green tree frog that I've kept for about 4 years now, and I can tell you that making a living vivarium is a lot of fun and a heck of a lot easier to maintain if you're open to going that route. They can also be very pretty, and don't have to be too expensive if you're smart about it. Basically all I have to worry about is feeding the frog and giving correct supplementation, and changing the water dish every now and then. If you don't have a misting system, you do have to hand mist for humidity, but that's no different than if it weren't a living vivarium.

We'll all be happy to help you if you have any questions.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nationality
    [Canada]

My frog will be an American Green Tree Frog.

Another question, is it okay if the tank lays on its long side? I used to use it for my American toad (she died), so it wasn’t tall, just big.

Nationality
    [United States]

Do you know how tall it is exactly in inches or centimeters? Generally speaking, tree frogs like to have taller tanks due to their arboreal habitat, hence their name. A tank should be a minimum of 18 inches, preferably around 24 inches. Some people are able to convert long tanks into tall tanks, and some places even sell the conversion kits themselves.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information