Thread: crickets

Question crickets

Ok so I have a minor problem that i need help with. So im in highschool and i badly want a frog. Idealy a whites tree frog as i hear they are super easy to care for. I already have a 5 year old gargoyle gecko named Astrid and i feed her the powdered diet. So i did a ton of research and then went to my parents telling them about the frog. both said sure and i told them it will need crickets my mother said yea sure go ahead after they talked for a bit. So fast forward a month later I got everyhing i need for the baby frog except the heat source. I have a 12"x 12"x 18" exo terra tank for when its a baby then i have an extra 24"x18"x18" exo terra tank that Astrid was in for a few months when i first for her. that was going to be the frogs semi perminant tank. Anyway i got everything then now my Mom is saying no crickets and i dont know what to do as I have spent over $200 on the frog only for my mom to not say no to the frog but its food source. and i now have this stuff but not sure how to convince her to let me have crickets. If i cant convince her to let me. use crickets i still want a frog and besides having to change some stuff in the tank how would dart frogs to in my horizontal tank?

If you have any advice i wanna hear it as i am clueless and she is staying firm on her no.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: crickets

You really need to try and convince your mom to allow crickets if you're going to have a frog, especially tree frogs as they live off gut filling bugs such as crickets. I'm not 100% sure what else they can eat but I'm guessing if she's not allowing you to have crickets, she's not allowing you to have any other bags, am I correct? I hope you manage to convince her in the end because you can hide them away from her so she won't become so scared when she walks in your room or whatever and they're safe in the prepack box they come in or a cricket pen. Good luck anyway and let us know if you convince her.
    Smile

She is ok with other bugs just not crickets. and yea i know that they need crickets (dusted) and the odd treat insect like a worm or something here and there. i am currently doing research into dart frogs as they can have fruitflies and dont require cricket as they are too small for them. i know i deffinetly have the tank size for them to live in. i currently have an 24" by 18" by 18" exo terra terrarium andvan empty tall 10 gallon exo terra tank. it seems i could put one possibly 2 thumb nail dart frogs in the small ten gallon or a few regular sized darts in the bigger tank.

Nationality
    [Canada]

For dart frogs you need to build a viv, dart frogs don't do good with fake plants etc. So once it all is planted and you put in the drainage layer and stuff you will lose some room in your tank and you will need to spend some more cash.

There is a range of food that WTFs can eat, even through crickets are the preferred thing to feed them. For example, dubia roaches may seem a bit gross, but they are much quieter than crickets and that might not bother your mom as much.

hi! my moms are against crickets too, and i hate them as well so i way looking for other food items for my whites tree frogs! i would recommend dubia roaches! they are cheap, nutritious, and easier than crickets because they do not jump or die off quickly. you may want to get an older frog because i don't think they make tiny tiny tiny dubia roaches, but i feed mine small, powdered in the same stuff as my gecko, and they actually prefer them!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Fully adult dubia roaches might be too big for the frog, but juvenile roaches should work. I have a small colony in a tupperware container with mesh on top. (And a locking lid! That's important.) It doesn't smell like crickets do, roaches don't die as fast as crickets, the roaches can't climb and once the colony gets going you should have plenty of tiny roaches.

Cons: You'd have to convince your mom to keep roaches. Roaches are still fast. It might take a while for them to start breeding.

Thread Information