Thread: Eye problem

Nationality
    [Belgium]

Default Eye problem

Name:  21081502_10155723822457164_1679331574_o.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  93.9 KB
    Does anyone have any idea on what's going on with this frog eye?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Eye problem

It looks like some sort of eye Infection. Your best bet may be to take this frog to an exotic animal/reptile vet, but I'll look into it and see if I can learn anything. Hopefully someone with firsthand experience comes along to help.

Edit: After some checking I found a bit of info: if this is a bacterial infection I found recommendations of Maracyn 2 or Maracyn +, but if is a fungal infection that won't do any good, and I can't tell from that picture if there is a fuzzy growth on the eye, or if those are just lumps possibly filled with liquid on the eye. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. More pictures may be helpful in identifying the problem. I would recommend against treatment before knowing exactly what is wrong. Good luck!
    Also, here.is where I found the recommendation for Maracyn, for further reading.
    http://www.frogforum.net/showthread....-eye-infection
    Last edited by daybr4ke; August 24th, 2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: One moooore thing.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [Belgium]

Hi, thanks for your help.
    I tried diet for a few weeks thinking it was a diet disorder problem.

Unfortunately, it's getting worse...
    Name:  IMG_8017.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  1.41 MBName:  IMG_8016.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  1.56 MB

I'm gonna try "Aureomycine" which is an ophtalmic antibiotic.

Nationality
    [United States]

I looked up aureomycine, it appears to be a tetracycline derivative, the first tetracycline discovered, but after googling "aureomyacin frogs" I didn't find any references to it's use on frogs, apart from some old studies about the development of tadpoles. I don't know if it would be safe for them or not. I have used another tetracycline, API's T.C. Tetracycline on frogs before. That stuff can be a bit rough on the frog from what I've seen. Is the aureomycine in cream, powder or another form?
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [Belgium]

It's a cream.
    We use this cream on babies so i thought it wasn't too rough...

Nationality
    [United States]

Honestly, I don't know. The Tetracycline I used was in powder form, intended for fish. The use of human medicines and other products is mostly based on example, records of someone using it on a frog. I couldn't find any records of it being used on a frog. You could try checking with John Clare, frog forum's administrator to see if it's safe. I'm not saying it isn't safe, just that I don't know it is safe. I'll do some googling to see if I can find any more information.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [Canada]

That's a pretty nasty eye infection, I think it may be beyond Tetracycline. you will need an eye drop that's like an antibiotic, if you can somehow get your hands on some Ciloxan 0.3 if its fixable this stuff will clear it right up. I have a pacman that banged his eye on something when he was little and he cant properly shut his eye anymore so sometimes he will get mild infections from the dirt being in his eye. This stuff clears it up within a few days, because of this problem I always have some on hand. The only problem is its a prescription from a vet, so if you don't have a vet you may have a hard time getting it.

9. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I was typing up a reply when you posted Monster! Thanks a lot!! I haven't had a lot of experience with eye infections, so I'm really glad you added that. What medications would have been effective at the time of the first picture? I recommended Maracyn, would that have worked at the time, or was that too little too late?
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [Canada]

If It was treated right away the tetracycline or the maracyn may have worked. I once had a conversation over the phone with Mike Novy from Rain Forest Junkies before I brought my guy to the vet the first time and he recommended to give Tetracycline a shot but said that it wasn't guaranteed to work. Once he said that I just thought because it was an eye that I wasn't going to mess around with it and just brought him to the vet. It may even work now for the OP, theres just no guarantee. Were is I know first hand That the ciloxan will work from having to use it over the years. I'm lucky that I have a great exotics vet and she will just let me get a refill when need be without having to bring my frog in and have to pay for the visit. Another thing that I use sometimes to just clean it out if there is no sign of infection and he is just having a hard time opening is Repti Turtle Eye Drops from Zoo med. IMO from the looks of the eye if he can get to an exotic vets that's his best shot at saving the eye, you don't want to be anything in there if your not sure about it. Being an eye IMO its really not something you want to be playing around with.

thats a big eye problem sadly it get worse you have to try seeing a exotics vets near you hope for fast recovery.

Thread Information