Thread: New to amphibians?

Default New to amphibians?

So i have kept reptiles for a couple of years now and would like to get some kind of frog/toad but I'm new to amphibians and would not know where to start looking for a good type for me.

The main thing I want is something that's not to loud, cause the enclosure would be in my room next to my bed.

I was thinking for a while now about turning one of my 20 gallon long aquariums in to a fire belly toad tank but I would also like to get something that's not semi aquatic.

I don't really want a Pac man frog. Mainly because they just sit and wait, not really doing anything. I also don't really want to get dart frogs(atleast for now) cause of how small they are and I would probably have a hard time getting food for them.

I would love to get a tiger or fire salamander, but the only salamanders I can find near me are axolotl.

So any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciate.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: New to amphibians?

Hi, welcome to the forum! if you are looking for a quite amphibian, consider an american toad. they are VERY underrated in the pet industry. you may be able to buy them, but i got mine from the wild. i feed them once every 3 days and i feed them nightcrawlers. never feed your reptiles or amphibians red wigglers, as they are distasteful and when most animals try one, they will never eat another worm again. you can dust them with mineral powder if you would like, but they are already packed with nutrients as it is. use a water dish and change it out once a day. taking care of them is relatively easy and only takes around 10 to 20 minutes a week. for every toad you have, use a 10 gallon tank. so if you house 2 toads in the same enclosure, use a 20 gallon. provide a few hiding spaces, and if your toad disapears, it has most likely just burrowed. i hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbooglyboo View Post
    Hi, welcome to the forum! if you are looking for a quite amphibian, consider an american toad. they are VERY underrated in the pet industry. you may be able to buy them, but i got mine from the wild. i feed them once every 3 days and i feed them nightcrawlers. never feed your reptiles or amphibians red wigglers, as they are distasteful and when most animals try one, they will never eat another worm again. you can dust them with mineral powder if you would like, but they are already packed with nutrients as it is. use a water dish and change it out once a day. taking care of them is relatively easy and only takes around 10 to 20 minutes a week. for every toad you have, use a 10 gallon tank. so if you house 2 toads in the same enclosure, use a 20 gallon. provide a few hiding spaces, and if your toad disapears, it has most likely just burrowed. i hope this helps!
    Ok I will look into them. And I was also wondering how loud is a white's tree frog at night. I'm interested in them but I can't find anything about the noise the make.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silvercrow87 View Post
    Ok I will look into them. And I was also wondering how loud is a white's tree frog at night. I'm interested in them but I can't find anything about the noise the make.

I have both species and I agree the American Toad is underrated as being kept! In this case I believe you would want a tree frog or a pond frog because they are more agile and more active. A 20 gallon would be okay for a Whites Tree Frog but better for a smaller tree frog because you could have a pair of say American Green Tree Frogs or Gray Tree Frogs. The Whites get big and the males croak different times. The female let out a distress call as well but if you don't stress her she won't make the noise. The females of the American species I mentioned don't make noise. You could keep one Leopard Frog in a 20 gallon but they like room so if you were invested in it and possibly wanted two you would need a 30-40 gallon however pond frogs are active day and night and are a lot of fun. Put in a moth and they will catch it. It's awesome. Other pond frogs need much more room. Leopard Frogs like land as much as water so you could have a smaller water area then the Fier Bellied Toads and the frog would be okay. They need enough room to submerge to hide for them to feel secure but not like the tanks you see them in with all water. I kept them in tanks that had more land then water in a 75 Gallon and they spent a lot more time on land only returning to the water to hydrate. You can keep an American Toad which are my favorite amphibian but in that size enclosure idk how active they will be. The toads love to explore like all of these do but I noticed the American Toads get less active after they settle into the enclosure because they are bored. It's easy to make them interested again but when they get bored they usually just lay around. I love my toads but for someone getting into the hobby wanting to have a fun experience I'd say a pond frog or tree frogs. Hope this helps

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Anyone know where I would be able to buy a American toad in Hamilton Ontario?

yes. u can get american toads here ---> http://www.reptilesncritters.com/american-toads.html

or here---> http://www.repticzone.com/forums/Amp...es/110186.html

hope this helps!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with the others- American or other native toads are a great first amphibian. Hardy, undemanding, loads of personality, and eat almost anything that moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbooglyboo View Post
    yes. u can get american toads here ---> http://www.reptilesncritters.com/american-toads.html

or here---> http://www.repticzone.com/forums/Amp...es/110186.html

hope this helps!
    Thanks but the first link has them but are sold out and the second link looks like a thread from 2004 with the last post from 2011.

Also apparently it's illegal to own any native frogs here where I live. So I will probably get a white's tree frog soon.

Thread Information