Thread: Tree Frogs In Screen Reptariums

Default Tree Frogs In Screen Reptariums

Wondering if anyone keeps their frogs (more specifically white's tree frogs) in a full screen enclosure. I currently have one white's in a 30 gal acrylic terrarium with substrate trays, the top is screen and there is a 3x18" panel on the front that its also screen.

I'd like to have a really large enclosure, so that I can get a few more whites, and so they have a TON of room to move around. If I can do it, I'd like to get a 100 gal screen reptarium with some sort of removable tray for the substrate.

My challenges are going to be temperature and humidity. Anyone use a full screen setup? what have your experiences been?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Julia

Default Re: Tree Frogs In Screen Reptariums

Like you said temps and humidity will be the biggest challenges. I have a Veiled Chameleon who is free ranged (does not live in a cage.) He requires 60% or more humidity and temps that range from 85 down to 75. I am sure that you can achieve the same results and tweak them for your frogs.

Step one: location. I removed the doors on the closet.

Step two: protected the walls from constant spraying to keep the humidity high. I covered the walls with plastic shower curtains held up with push pins. I added a design to look like a tree on the back wall using a plastic table cloth.

Step three: lights. I added a heat light, UVB light, and a plant growing light. I taped the cords to the wall behind the shower curtains and put them all on timers. Also added the cage frame...you of course would want to keep the mesh part on. I chose to take it off for the Chameleon.

Step four: decor! The key to keeping humidity up is LIVE plants. I added a ficus, hibiscus, and pathos. I also added a humidifier you can kind of see on the left side. Its a Repti Fogger Zoo Med Repti Fogger
    Its on a timer to go off for 30 min three times a day. It didnt work until I placed a heavy book on top of the water bottle. (Now it works great!) I also mist the area really well in the morning..

Last edited by Julia; August 10th, 2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: fixed the pics

Julia

I think the main thing is that by placing this set up in the closet I am still able to control heat and humidity to some degree...hope this helps!

Very insightful! Thanks! After some thought and reading your post, this project may be a little more involved than I thought originally. I'm moving soon so I will wait until I'm settled to start, but it looks as though I will have an entire room for frogs!

Thread Information