Thread: ACF’s - Two males and a female??

Nationality
    [United States]

Default ACF’s - Two males and a female??

Hi guys! So, I’ve been awaiting the day I’d be able to tell what sex my ACF’s were and I have to say that if I’m correct, they totally played me!

My oldest frog I received in June as a birthday present. (I had another that passed away in August that I got with this one.) then I got two more in August. They are dyed albino ACF’s. I know, I know. But I had to get the second two because the honestly looked so skinny and small I was afraid they were going to die.

Anyway! My first frog and one of the two I got two months later just recently had a growth spurt. They got big fast, and both have “dirty hands” or the darkened nuptial pads. Everything I have read says that they are boys. Also, some conflicting information... do the nuptial pads darken and stay dark? Or are they only dark during mating periods?

The third one is a lot smaller than the other two, which was why I originally thought the other two were girls and this one was a boy. Hippo (the smaller one) however hasn’t developed any nuptial pads, but does seem to have cloacal lips. She’s eating normally, but isn’t as pushy for food as the other two, and has always been a bit more reclusive than the bigger guys.

Do females grow slower? (Even though they end up bigger) or is it possible that she just might be younger than the other two? I’m assuming since the two bigger ones matured at the same time, that they are close in age, even though I got them 2 months apart. I’ve asked the local reptile place and they told me some just grow slower than others. But I’m not too happy with their “knowledge” in other things ACF.

Oh and I swear I heard one of them croaking, twice today. It wasn’t for long. I’ve been sitting in silence hoping they’ll do it again so that I can record it! But since most sites say they do it for a long time, I’m wondering if mine are finding their voice! lol

Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: ACF’s - Two males and a female??

Quote Originally Posted by Stking530 View Post
    Also, some conflicting information... do the nuptial pads darken and stay dark? Or are they only dark during mating periods?
    They usually stay dark but may vary in intensity.

Do females grow slower? (Even though they end up bigger) or is it possible that she just might be younger than the other two?
    I’ve asked the local reptile place and they told me some just grow slower than others. But I’m not too happy with their “knowledge” in other things ACF.
    There's no concise answer to this. Growth rates between the sexes are usually equal. However, your frogs are most likely to be descended from several generations of in-breeding, which increases the likelihood that they may not grow as fast or as big or robust as they would otherwise .

Oh and I swear I heard one of them croaking, twice today. It wasn’t for long. I’ve been sitting in silence hoping they’ll do it again so that I can record it! But since most sites say they do it for a long time, I’m wondering if mine are finding their voice! lol
    It's quite possible that you heard one of them vocalise but they won't do so for long periods until they reach sexual maturity.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: ACF’s - Two males and a female??

Adding to Geoff's comments:
    The males will definitely have nuptial pads. It usually takes males about a year to become sexually mature, females about 9 months. Females are larger wth cloacal lips. Sexually mature females have a plump, pear shaped body, males are more skinny. This is one of the few species where both males and females call. There is a subtile distinction in their voice patterns. I have identified, recorded and created sonograms of the most common calls. You will really enjoy having ACFs, they are my very favorite frogs!
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information