Thread: Heat/Lighting Question

Nationality
    [Canada]

Question Heat/Lighting Question

Hello! I am starting to set up a tank to hopefully get a pacman frog sometime in the near future and I am overwhelmed with all of the conflicting information out there when it comes to lighting and heating for them!

I have a 10 G acrylic tank to house the lil fella in. My bedroom is about 60° (so cold I know) and I generally have my blinds closed so there will not be a natural light cycle. I have a Zoomed combo deep dome light fixture I was thinking of using but ideally I would like an albino pacman and have heard that white lighting is harmful for their skin and eyes. Since I have spots for 2 lights should I get 2 different wattages of red bulbs for day & night temp differences? Are blue daylight bulbs safe to use for albinos or should there be absolutely no additional lighting other than a red bulb?

I am hoping to get enough heat from a bulb but if necessary I will purchase a mini zoomed heat pad to stick to the side of the tank as they are safe to use with plastic from what I hear.

Do you have any recommendations on the best thermometer & hygrometer?

Any other tips you can offer somebody who hasn't ever owned a frog (or any other amphibian/reptile) would be much appreciated! I'm sure I will be here lots in the next few months while I get everything set up and troubleshoot

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Heat/Lighting Question

I use a heat pad and no lights on my pac man because lights dry them out I recommend
    going to pet smart and buying a heating pad for like 20 $ and you should be set use eco earth for substrate and a water dish that they can sit and climb out of.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Isaacs animals View Post
    I use a heat pad and no lights on my pac man because lights dry them out I recommend
    going to pet smart and buying a heating pad for like 20 $ and you should be set use eco earth for substrate and a water dish that they can sit and climb out of.
    I have plantation soil already which is cocofiber husk so I am good for that! I am just worried that the mini heat pad (only one safe to use with an acrylic tank) will provide sufficient heating due to my room being so cold. Trying to find another solution.

Those heat pads heat up alot. So it should be more than enough for the pacman frog you get. But you would also need a thermostat for the heat pad. You can buy cheap ones on Amazon that are made for plants / seedlings. Those are what I use on my tanks they work exactly the same a Zoo med reptile thermostat and they are a a lot cheaper. Just plug in your heat pad into the thermostat and set the temperature you want it at. They work exactly the same.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thread Information