Thread: no matter where i post no one knows what my toad is nor how to care

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thumbs down no matter where i post no one knows what my toad is nor how to care

okay this was sold to me as an american toad then i got people saying it is a western ntoad then texas toad

the toad is big around 4 inches very sweet natured

i read mixed things on humidity

He got a big serious sore and i took to a vet they gave me this natural stuff to bath him in and then said apply polysporin??!?!?

anyways i have been doing that but he never uses his water dish he is in a 20 gallon

now recently another tank i had a cute painted toad i did the research had the tank temp everything humidity like said but i found the toad dead with slime coming out of his face sitting in the water dish~!?~?!?! this is bran new substrate i am using!! i am so clean
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: no matter where i post no one knows what my toad is nor how to care

Hi, it can be hard to tell similar toad species apart. Sometimes species interbreed so there's that too. I'd call it an American Toad, but I'm just guessing from pictures I've seen online.

If he never uses his water dish, does he ever move around the tank at all? It could be several things if that's the case, or maybe just not feeling good because of the sore and medication.

As far as your painted toad, it was in a different tank, right? Sadly, sometimes frogs just get sick despite our best efforts. It doesn't help that it's hard to tell if a frog is ill in the early stages. You might have even bought a sick frog.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think a problem firstly is that Toad is seriously overweight and maybe that could be a problem. What are you feeding this toad? If that was an American Toad it would be honest the fattest toad and I apologise if I'm coming off as mean I'm just shocked this toad is so big.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

i dont know what it is, but i sure do know how to take care of him! feed him once every 3 to 4 days, and feed him worms. you will know if he's healthy if he is chubby, not skinny, and not to fat. nice job with the 20 gallon tank andmake sure you're water dish is only about 2 to 3 inches deep. if he dissapears and the tank lid is closed, he's either hiding or he burrowed to regulate body temperature. mist his tank once every day. this is really important because if they burrow but then the dirt dries around them they could get trapped. this happened to me once and my smaller toad was trapped for 5 days. good luck on taking care of him/her. you can determine the gender by doing this: when you pick up your toad it will squeak if it is a male. a female doesnt squeak

I'm a little late to the party, but I just wanted to tell you that your toad looks like a Colorado River Toad to me.

Thread Information