Thread: Toady McToadman

Default Toady McToadman

Hi everyone. My son wild captured a toad this summer and he's become a well loved family pet. He eats crickets exclusively. Lately we've found him upside down a few times. He also hasn't been eating. We put him right side up and he digs down into his coconut mulch. Any ideas what's up?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Toady McToadman

Hey, maybe reposting in the Toads area would help. It would help to know things like temperature and what kind of water you're using but in general being upside down is not a good sign. At best it's maybe inner ear problems at worst he's very sick.

Also welcome!

Thank you. As you can tell... I'm new here.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Frogs and toads flipping upside down seems to be fairly common. I worked at the local zoo as an amphibian keeper and when I got to work in the morning, there were several toads on their backs. After discussing with the zoo vet, we came up with a couple of theories:
    1) the unken reflex. When animals are threatened, many species of amphibians will flip over and show their bright, colorful bellies that warn predators of their poison; in captivity, this fear can be perceived rather than real;
    2) it is possible, being a wild toad, it absorbed harmful chemicals which affects its nervous system causing severe twitching. What ever the reason, make sure the toad is kept properly and in a quiet location to reduce stress. Toads living in the northern climates often hibernate in the winter. If your toad is digging in, let it go. Stop feeding.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

5. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You're right: I'd forgotten about the unken reflex. Or at least I'd only heard about it in firebellies. I was thinking about seizures.

Thread Information