Thread: finally found a ornata what to expect?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Exclamation finally found a ornata what to expect?

here in canada i have never seen one for sale until now

he is the size of a penny. Should i be keeping him in a plastic critter container? or is a small 3 gallon ok?

Also mealworms and half grown crickets for now?

Is there anything temperamnt wise they differ from the reg cranwali horned? Are they more active? all my horned have been very passive eaters compared to all other frogs.

Also are most of the ones out there like albinos usually mixes? because i have seen some HUGE albino pacmans i wonder if they have ornata in them?

Last What do you prefer to keep between these 2 and why? I am so jealous of americans able to have such hard to get pets so easy lol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: finally found a ornata what to expect?

This should help.

"Should i be keeping him in a plastic critter container? or is a small 3 gallon ok?" Y
    es you should keep it in a critter container until it is a decent size.

"Also mealworms and half grown crickets for now?" Get mealworms, small ones. Same for the crickets.

"Is there anything temperamnt wise they differ from the reg cranwali horned?" There are temperament differences yes, they can and will draw blood if aggravated, but mostly in adult stage.

"Are they more active?" They are not very active they mostly just sit like a rock all day. They can be aggressive eaters but only some of them.

"Also are most of the ones out there like albinos usually mixes?" No they are mostly not mixes, just albino. You can usually get mixes from online reptile sites and expos.

"Last What do you prefer to keep between these 2 and why?" I prefer cranwali. Ornatas are aggressive and they get BIG. Their bites hurt.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Unhappy Re: finally found a ornata what to expect?

Quote Originally Posted by whatscroakin View Post
    This should help.

"Should i be keeping him in a plastic critter container? or is a small 3 gallon ok?" Y
    es you should keep it in a critter container until it is a decent size.

"Also mealworms and half grown crickets for now?" Get mealworms, small ones. Same for the crickets.

"Is there anything temperamnt wise they differ from the reg cranwali horned?" There are temperament differences yes, they can and will draw blood if aggravated, but mostly in adult stage.

"Are they more active?" They are not very active they mostly just sit like a rock all day. They can be aggressive eaters but only some of them.

"Also are most of the ones out there like albinos usually mixes?" No they are mostly not mixes, just albino. You can usually get mixes from online reptile sites and expos.

"Last What do you prefer to keep between these 2 and why?" I prefer cranwali. Ornatas are aggressive and they get BIG. Their bites hurt.

this really sucks i went to the expo so i got that ornata my friend found for me because i thought canada had none, i took a pic didnt think anything of it was too excited now hes dead. Temp was 80s humity 80s here is a pic of the day i got it, in my blind excitment and my friends didnt realize
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [Canada]

Really depressing.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Are you saying the frog is dead in that picture?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Are you saying the frog is dead in that picture?

no that was the day i got him, i brought him home showed others and they said i bought a sick frog

i was too excited but he died the next day I dont think ill ever be able to get a ornata again or find one.

i have 2 other pacmans and toads all fat healthy. I just gota get over this. I get attached to these guys too fast.

Thats sad. I live in toronto as well and ive never seen one. Hope you are able to find another one.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by HappyPets View Post
    no that was the day i got him, i brought him home showed others and they said i bought a sick frog

i was too excited but he died the next day I dont think ill ever be able to get a ornata again or find one.

i have 2 other pacmans and toads all fat healthy. I just gota get over this. I get attached to these guys too fast.

I will tell you this. When it comes to purchasing very small froglets, there is always a risk that it may die the next day. You said the frog was the size of a penny and that tells me the frog was not out of the water more than a couple days. In that picture there appears to be no signs of illness and if the frog was active and not listless, it would have been difficult to tell if the frog had a problem.

I'm sorry things did not work out this time, but another chance may arrise in the future.

See if you can get ahold of Understory Enterprises. They are based in Canada and do sell pacman frogs. I believe they mostly do wholesale, but do deal with private sales occasionally.

Nationality
    [Canada]

i can try but no more babies the person who sold me the frog said they would replace but dont seem keen on keeping contact. So honestly dont know if they will. I was told by many others canadian expo that this is too common and they say they will help out but its just a way to keep you quiet. The money the ornata was 100 dollars, i saved for that extra. My bills sky rocket. I dont have 100 for another right now I have to get medication for my dog who just survived cancer.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm sorry for your loss, that's awful. Also, that is a LOT of money for an Ornate. I hope you can find another ornate later on at a more reasonable price, and I hope the seller gets back to you. Good luck.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss, that's awful. Also, that is a LOT of money for an Ornate. I hope you can find another ornate later on at a more reasonable price, and I hope the seller gets back to you. Good luck.

I found out from a few others the seller was selling half dead animals that day so there is no way the frog would have survived

but the seller said they would replace but i am told this seller who is HUGE will say it but never replace

Nationality
    [Canada]

the breeder is so reputable i just did not think they would sell things that had a rare survival rate so i got so excited then people started pointing out he is sick

Nationality
    [Canada]

I have 2 other pacman budget and few other fat toads all healthy and doing great it was just that huge vendor they had too many animals would be impossible to keep track

Did you go to the expo also? I got jabba new toad lol I was in shocked when i saw ornata my dream frog I have good luck usually frogs i mean all mine are so fat and growing fast.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Vendor says they have more but admitted they are wild caught and could die. When i brought him home my friend said the frog looked starved and weak. My excitment got the better of me.

Thread Information