Thread: Pacman frog leaning

Default Pacman frog leaning

Hey,

First I'd like to thank you in advance for taking the time to read this!

I've owned a green pacman frog for about a month now and everything has been great. Today I took her out of her enclosure to feed her and I noticed she is leaning slightly to the left , She also has her left front arm tucked underneath her body. It kinda looks like she has a flat tire. She still eats fine and also poops regularly but barely uses her left arm.

Does anyone have any ideas why?

Any questions or comments would be appreciated!

10 gallon tank
    Coco fiber bedding ( I feed her in a different container to avoid impaction )
    79 - 81 during the day for temp 72 - 75 for night temp
    70 - 75 humidity
    2 plants dwarf umbrella tree , pothos vine
    Water dish ( with treated water ) aqua tetra water conditioner
    Feeding ever other day , dusting with calcium then alternating vitamin
    Gut loaded crickets and wax worms. Wax worms are more of a treat.
    She is about 3 months old
    Florescent light during the day 12 hours, UVB night lamp 12 hours

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman frog leaning

The symptom usually suggests a calcium deficiency or an injury. It sounds like your frog gets calcium though, is it calcium+d3 or just calcium? Vitamin D3 is needed to metablize the calcium, but UV lamps should provide d3. I wonder if it is enough considering how much time pacman frogs spend down completely submerged.
    Injury wise, I don't know what could have happened to hurt the frog. Pictures would help.
    (Apologies if there alteady are some, I'll check on my pc later. Mt phone's data is too slow to load pictures.)
    Also, where did you get the frog? You said you had it for about a month, but it is 3 months old. It is possible whoever had the frog before you didn't properly give the frog supplements.
    I hope this helps.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Yes the frog was at petsmart for about 2 months before I got her and now I've had her about a month.

Fluker's Repta Calcium with D3 & phosphorus free. She also never really fully burries herself at night even though there is plenty of substrate to do so. I'm assuming she's getting plenty of UVB at night time.

Thanks for your time / help ! It's greatly appreciated.

This is my first frog and I was worried that I'm doing something wrong. I will also post pictures tonight when I get home.

He looks fine to me, mine goes in that position sometimes. He is always like that or sometimes? Are he able to stand right? I'll leave the saying to the experts, but if he is always like that theres a problem, is he eating fine and pooping?

Lately she's been like that all the time, she can stand but kinda leans over. She's been eating and pooping fine. Also she can jump and catch prey, I took her out to feed her today and she was very active.

Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by A5StarFroggingExperience View Post
    Lately she's been like that all the time, she can stand but kinda leans over. She's been eating and pooping fine. Also she can jump and catch prey, I took her out to feed her today and she was very active.

Thanks for the reply!
    You're welcome bro, as i said i'm no expert, mine is still a baby, but try doing the honey bath, water arround 86F and some honey and put her in there, by what i understand is the only thing that you can do, but i'm not sure if it will help.
    Also, try to charge more in the calcium and D3 for a few days i would say. I would also make sure that the crickets, roaches, whatever you use, also eats some calcium and D3 themselfs too, so they can pass onto the frog. I believe that you shouldn't worry too much about that as by what i see she moves her paw fine no?
    Share a picture of her in the substrate, mine does that leaning where there's no substrat under and eventually one paw if more extended than other, but he's almost all the time normal, he doesn't stay like that for long.
    Shall the experts come and answer!
    Also you can bump the temperatures up a notch, i've mine at 83 so he metabolises better.
    Ps:Mine only borrows when digesting his food. Otherwise either he goes to the pool or under the plant.
    Also, are the plants real or fake ones?
    And how often do you clean him/change substrate?
    Also, inspect the under side of the frog to make sure there's no fungal infection or something. By what i read arround those are common, the underside should be all white and not red .
    Make sure you threat the water for chlorum, and i read somewhere about the MBD that bryce was talking:"Signs of the disorder include: droopy lower jaw, failure to grab prey, muscle twitching, listlessness, and backbone and pelvic deformities. You can treat MBD by consistently coating prey with calcium and vitamin D3. If the frog is having problems grabbing prey because its bones are too soft, you'll want to administer calcium + D3 with a syringe via the frog's mouth once every 1-2 days until the bones start to harden."
    But your pacman doesn't look to me to have any of this. Maybe he's just like that and likes to lean?
    Good luck

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by A5StarFroggingExperience View Post
    Name:  IMAG0288.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  697.8 KB
    I'm responding ages later, but this is actually virtually identical to the trouble I was having with my guy. I can't be 100% sure what ended up helping, but I started supplementing his food with that zoomed powdered food, with a bit of added calcium and a vitamin powder mixed in. It seems like due to previous diet issues he just wasn't getting enough calcium from dusting alone. That's just a theory on my part - one example isn't really good evidence. But I don't think it would hurt to try it either.

Thread Information