Thread: found her dead today. :(

Default found her dead today. :(

my bullfrog wasn't that old. only 5, tops? she was perfectly fine when i left her on friday (she lives at my work) and when i came in today, i found her half wedged under her water bowl at an awkward angle, dead and dried out. there were lots of people there over the weekend, is it possible that someone could have bumped her tank and caused her water bowl to break her back or something? she usually would scrunch under there in the winter and quiet down but never halfway without digging out a hole. i can't figure out what happened to her. it came out of nowhere. she was healthy, fairly active for this time of year, and i had no concerns. she ate pinky mice, superworms, cockroaches, dubia roaches, or crickets depending on what i had on hand. she was such a good girl. i miss her already.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: found her dead today. :(

I'm very sorry. I don't know if that's what caused it , but it is a possibility. Was the substrate moist and was there water in the bowl when you came back? Could your place of work have experienced an unexpected drop or jump in temperature? I only ask because you mentioned she appeared dried out. A necropsy could be performed, but this can be a bit complicated.
    http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/gen...#/topics/22090
    That link to an old dendroboard thread has more info on necropsies if you'd like to read more, but it may not be a possibility at this point. I don't know. I really wish I had more info for you. I also own a pixie, and they're awesome frogs. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you can figure out what happened.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    I'm very sorry. I don't know if that's what caused it , but it is a possibility. Was the substrate moist and was there water in the bowl when you came back? Could your place of work have experienced an unexpected drop or jump in temperature? I only ask because you mentioned she appeared dried out. A necropsy could be performed, but this can be a bit complicated.
    http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/gen...#/topics/22090
    That link to an old dendroboard thread has more info on necropsies if you'd like to read more, but it may not be a possibility at this point. I don't know. I really wish I had more info for you. I also own a pixie, and they're awesome frogs. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you can figure out what happened.
    There was a full bowl of water and yes the substrate was moist. She lives right next to a savannah monitor lizard who was impatiently waiting to be fed, so i don't think a temp drop caused it...i've been thinking about a necropsy. thank you for your kind words. she was very special and such a sweet little girl.

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I read that that post from the link and I'm no expert but I don't think formaldehyde would be the best thing to preserve frogs over and over again. It is the main chemical in embalming fluid and can be dangerous to use without proper ventilation. I'm sure using it once would be ok, it is just I don't know how each veterinarian would dispose of it and it does leach into the soil in cemeteries. I don't know if what I'm saying really applies to this situation but this is just what I've learned...

6. This member thanks Animallover3541 for this post:

Thread Information