Thread: First Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Default First Frog

Got this guy from a customer. She bought him from PetSmart and got bored of him pretty quick. I moved him in and he seems to be doing fine. He's been eating crickets and I've been dusting with calcium. He's been named Fenrir. His tank is in between a spotted python and a fish tank so I blocked the side glass out. I'm switching substrate when I get payed. Cocofiber is all I had on hand. I tong feed to prevent ingestion

2. This member thanks Dimidiata for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: First Frog

Congrats on the new frog and welcome to the forum. I believe you got a 4 spot Cranwelli if you weren't sure exactly what type of pacman frog you have. Make sure you give him a multivitamin to, but don't give on the same day as the calcium unless its a product that has all the vitamins mixed together. Also does the calcium have D3 in it, if not you need one that has it because this is something the frog really needs.

5. 2 members thank monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Yup yup, he's on Calcium plus! Lil guy chows down. Thanks for the id

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Aw, he's a cute little guy! The coco fiber you had on hand is perfect! Most people use coco fiber as the substrate for their pacmans, as well as other frogs. It has a low chance of impaction, and is pretty cheap. People usually replace it every 2 weeks or less. What were you thinking of picking up instead?
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]

I was thinking of switching to eco Earth.

Nationality
    [United States]

Eco Earth is just a brand name coco fiber actually. I personally have used 4+ brands. I find eco-earth is one of the best. I often have trouble finding it in stores though. I usually get exo-terra's plantation soil, since I can find at pet food express for 2.50 a brick. It's not quite as nice as eco earth imo, but my frogs don't seem to care either way
    I've heard there are some really good deals online on Amazon and whatnot. The guy I bought my African Bullfrog from said he bought eco earth in bulk on Amazon at something like 1.90 a brick. Considering some retail stores will try to charge you 5-6$ a brick, that's pretty good savings.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah i use dry shredded coco with the snakes but I like the look of the eco Earth coco as it holds humidity better. I've also been thinking about moving him into a tub instead of a tank.

Nationality
    [United States]

I really like plastic tubs/bins for terrestrial frogs and toads, actually. Especially for species that require high humidity. You can just cut a hole around half the size of the top in the bin top and then hot glue some screen across. I find a bin set up that way keeps humidity pretty well. There's actually a guide on here about making sterilite bin terreriums, I can dig it up later and link it if you're interested, but it's probably unnecessary.
    Edit:
    http://www.frogforum.net/showthread....arium-Vivarium
    Last edited by daybr4ke; December 5th, 2017 at 04:43 AM. Reason: BECAUSE I CANT LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE.
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony

Nationality
    [United States]

That's what I'm thinking. You know those plastic drawer stacks they sell at Walmart? I have heavy duty individual ones that stack together. Good dimensions too. They fit right on the shelves below my snake rack.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Just remember if your going to do plastic bins especially a rack system you will need a safe way to heat the frog. They need temps in the low to mid 80's, if they aren't kept at the proper temps they can become ill with some serious health issues. I know this from experience because I was told when I got my first pacman frog ever I was told room temps were fine and that's what he was being kept at in the store. Even though I did some research and put his temps to where they were supposed to be within the first couple weeks the frog already had edema due to kidney from being in to cold of temps at the store and ended up passing.

Nationality
    [United States]

I was thinking of using a lamp actually. I can clip it to the rack and adjust it to get stable day temps and then move it off center for night temps. My room is kept at 75 with a humidity of 55 to start. Makes keeping reptiles a bit easier. I use digital thermometer/hygrometers

Thread Information