Thread: Fish tank to Frog habitat???

Member needs to set country!

Default Fish tank to Frog habitat???

Hi!
    Just wondering if I could get some thoughts or advice from some experienced frog owners out there. I have a couple questions.

My sons are each getting a new pet "family member" for Christmas. In preparation I was going through our current supplies, extra terrariums,etc. They say we are the Wild Kingdom inside and Funny Farm outside so we have a decent stash. Anyway, I came across a 20 gallon hexagon fish tank that we still had tucked away after a move. Thought it would be a fun extra surprise to set it up too.
    My questions are-
    1. Is there any type of frog that could live in this tank with the top it came with? Not with fish but if it could be used as a terrarium or vivarium. I'd obviously have to cover the opening from the filter but that's not a problem.
    2. If there isn't anything that could live in it as is...what about if I built a hinged top with more ventilation?

I apologize for the long rambling post. Just thought this tank was too fun to still be in a box but also want all of our pets to be in the healthiest set up possible. I always research any new additions for months and sometimes longer. I over research to the point my brain hurts. [That's why I'm here now.]. It's hard to know what info. to trust but I do believe tips from experience is priceless.

Thank you!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Fish tank to Frog habitat???

The hexagonal tank should be fine, but before saying for sure a picture with the top would be great. Basically, different types of frogs require different setups. If the top has low ventilation and keeps it very humid, a tropical species may be a great choice. Dart frogs, as an example , require 80-100% humidity and air circulation isn't a major concern. Other frogs live in humidities as low as 40-50 range. Some frogs(toads, tomato frogs, chubby frogs, plenty more.) are unable to climb, which might be convenient considering the tank's top. Many if not most frog owners use fishtanks for frog vivariums. In fact, reptile enclosure glass is sometimes thinner than fish tanks because they aren't intended for holding water.
    Honestly, it's probably going to work just fine. Most people get the typical rectangular f ishtanks, but I see no reason an octagonal one would be a problem, although I'm guessing it's more vertical than long, so some smaller treefrogs may be A great option.
    I hope this helps a little!
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Seconding all that, it seems like it would be especially good for small treefrogs or darts, depending on the lid.

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

I think with some adjustments to the lid it would be great for tree frogs. Sounds like it is vertical and 20 gallons is a good size for some thing like a gray tree frog.

Thread Information