Thread: feeding advice

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default feeding advice

hi, i got a afb when it was 3.5 inches, now its bang on 6 inches SVL. i fed it every other day from the get go and still do. anyway i wanted to ask when i can reduce feeding to every 3rd day? atm hes eating 20x 3cm sub adult dubia in 1 sitting every other day.
    ill be honest, hes costing me a fortune to feed him and to think i was going to buy 3 of these at the time, so glad i didnt.
    my colony im breeding up wouldnt sustain him. hes an absolute monster and im looking for excuses to cut back his feeding. any advice would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: feeding advice

ABFs will eat a lot of different things. Try something more inexpensive like earthworms, gold fish, superworms, the occasional rodent. If it comes down to it, you could find wild caught bugs from outside. (not recommended) but better than not feeding it at all. Your best bet is to concentrate on your Dubia colony. A strong colony is the key and the cheapest in the long run.

4. This member thanks Jolan for this post:

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Jolan View Post
    ABFs will eat a lot of different things. Try something more inexpensive like earthworms, gold fish, superworms, the occasional rodent. If it comes down to it, you could find wild caught bugs from outside. (not recommended) but better than not feeding it at all. Your best bet is to concentrate on your Dubia colony. A strong colony is the key and the cheapest in the long run.
    thanks ill keep at it. but do you think im overfeeding? i thin hes just getting fatter instead of longer at this point. he went from 4-6 inches very quickly and now hes been at 6 inches for about a month. when do these guys slow down in growth and what size would you consider adulthood?
    i keep him at 90f. he seems happy enough, i hear him croaking every hour since hes in my room. cheers.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes they are eating machines. I would try to feed as often as possible. I’m not sure you can over feed an ABF. I could be wrong about that. I always feed my ABF until he stops, and than I try to coax him into eating one more. But I have the opposite problem. I’m starting to get overrun with Dubia. I feed my frogs very often. Every other day at least. I assume that they eat lots of small meals frequently with the occasional large meal (rodents) in the wild. I try to keep them fat and happy. You could probably feed only once a week, if you feed him well every week. I’m sure he would prefer more often tho.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I started a Dubia colony before getting my ABF, and it has proved invaluable! Jolan is right, they eat tons. Mine is around 5.5 inches, so adult male Dubias are a great snack for him. I feed mine crickets and roaches mostly, with nightcrawlers and superworms occasionally. I let him have a mouse every 2-3 months. As long as they're growing I'd say Jolan is right. Every other day or every third day seems to keep mine pretty happy. I do every other then every third, rinse repeat. That being said, a day is often missed here or there, and he doesn't seem to mind at all, even at a week without food. Like Jolan said, they probably prefer more often
    Edit: also, 90°f is pretty high.
    If you think he's getting fat, you could lower the fat in his diet.
    https://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods2.shtml
    Caudata, Frog Forum's sister site has a very useful nutrition chart for insects and other frog foods.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    I started a Dubia colony before getting my ABF, and it has proved invaluable! Jolan is right, they eat tons. Mine is around 5.5 inches, so adult male Dubias are a great snack for him. I feed mine crickets and roaches mostly, with nightcrawlers and superworms occasionally. I let him have a mouse every 2-3 months. As long as they're growing I'd say Jolan is right. Every other day or every third day seems to keep mine pretty happy. I do every other then every third, rinse repeat. That being said, a day is often missed here or there, and he doesn't seem to mind at all, even at a week without food. Like Jolan said, they probably prefer more often
    Edit: also, 90°f is pretty high.
    If you think he's getting fat, you could lower the fat in his diet.
    https://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods2.shtml
    Caudata, Frog Forum's sister site has a very useful nutrition chart for insects and other frog foods.

thanks for info. its only 90f at the hottest point and is 75f at the coldest point of his 4ft enclosure so he has the option to move around but he always sits under the 90f point which tells me they like it very hot. hes croaking so im assuming hes happy. at the moment hes only on dubia, hes eats 20x 3cm every other day which sounds like a lot and it is, i dont know how hes doing it. ill suck it up and keep buying more until my colony is grown cheers

Nationality
    [United States]

If you feed the colony good they will multiply quickly too. Maybe set some aside just for breeding.
    A candle loses none of it's light by lighting another candle. www.mantisplace.com for feeders and supplies

Thread Information