Thread: Oversoaking??

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Oversoaking??

Happy thanksgiving to anyone that reads this today! Okay so I’ve had my ABF for almost a month I’ve been trying to get it to croak so I started heating it’s water dish, with an under tank heater. The water dish takes up half the enclosure.(20gal long) I was sure to make it easy for my frog to get in and out. The problem is the darn thing won’t come out of the water. I remove the frog from the water and within minutes it hops back in. Can you over soak a frog? The enclosure is kept at 78 degrees Fahrenheit with 80% humility and peat moss substrate. Until yesterday (before I started heating the water) he would burrow and spent almost no time in the water other than pooping. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Oversoaking??

Hi, happy thanksgiving! I don't know if heating the water dish would help get the frog to croak. I'd have to check. Also, where do you keep the frog? If you keep it in another room where you can't hear it you probably won't ever hear it croak. I keep mine in my bedroom. Mine has never croaked before 11 at night. Last night as I was going to bed at about 1 AM and he croaked a few times. If it has only been a day, I wouldn't worry too much. He/She may be soaking to shed skin, pass a large poop, or for warmth. African Bullfrogs and Pacman frogs typically burrow to avoid heat. I've got some questions to try and figure out why your frog is soaking. You said the frog is in a 20 gallon long, where do you keep the temperature probe for the thermometer? For a 20g I'd recommend 2-3 thermometers to get an idea of the temperature gradient. Do you heat the land side with a heat bulb? How often do you switch out the substrate? Is it kept moist? I've recently tried using peat moss for my toads. I think I prefer coco fiber. They seem to like it, but I found some mold in an area and the poop doesn't show up as well as on Coco fiber's light brown color. Sorry for the giant wallpost!
    Edit: saw the other thread with recommendation on lukewarm baths. This refers to a "bath" many frog keepers give their burrowing frogs every 2 weeks to once a month. This is usually done for 20 minutes to half an hour in a separate container with water 75-80°f heated turn put into the container, rather than heating the water dish.
    Last edited by daybr4ke; November 23rd, 2017 at 05:56 PM.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Jolan View Post
    Happy thanksgiving to anyone that reads this today! Okay so I’ve had my ABF for almost a month I’ve been trying to get it to croak so I started heating it’s water dish, with an under tank heater. The water dish takes up half the enclosure.(20gal long) I was sure to make it easy for my frog to get in and out. The problem is the darn thing won’t come out of the water. I remove the frog from the water and within minutes it hops back in. Can you over soak a frog? The enclosure is kept at 78 degrees Fahrenheit with 80% humility and peat moss substrate. Until yesterday (before I started heating the water) he would burrow and spent almost no time in the water other than pooping. Thanks.
    Your frog will call when it is ready. Usually between late spring and late summer. Mine calls periodically within these months. I can honestly say that I have never been able to make him call. Not even if I were to play GABF calls. You will just have to wait. The call is also a very low pitch call which can be easily missedif you are not paying attention.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah he’ll croak or not when s/he is ready. I’m not to worried about him croaking. It’s more of the question of how much time in the water is too much. I am no longer heating the water dish however the frog is still not coming out. I do occasionally remove it from its water. Ive seen pics of ABFs that look like they have rotted skin on the underbelly.

Nationality
    [United States]

I moved the thermometer and hygrometer around the enclosure to different locations and it maintains the necessary specifications. I change the substrate once a week. I heat the enclosure with a ceramic heat emitter. I no longer heat the water but the frog still will not come out on his own.

Thread Information