Thread: Sick frog...please help!

Unhappy Sick frog...please help!

Hi frog lovers!

I have two African Clawed frogs that are about a year old, and they seem to have an infection for the first time.
    Symptoms:
    -white spots around eyes, on top of head
    -one of them has 2 dots on its back
    -cloudy eyes
    -slightly decreased energy

Tank:
    -20 gallon
    -kept at 70 degrees
    -Fluval 206 filter: carbon filter, water polishing pad, biomax, and foam
    -25% water change 1-2x/week

A few days ago, the water in the tank got cloudy and greener than normal. I realized that I needed to change the filters inside the canister. Around the same time, their symptoms became more noticeable and worsened. Yesterday I added 1 tsp. of Malachite Green to the tank, but I'm afraid to give them any medicine or treatment since I'm not sure exactly what it is they are suffering from.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I don't want them to suffer any longer!! Thanks in advance.

*There is one picture of each frog. One of the frogs was always missing an eye. She is the one with the 2 spots on her back.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Sick frog...please help!

Hello Jenwer333 Very worrying you have 3 different symptoms but yet seem to have a good clean regime, but we must dig deeper as almost certain this is bacterial and also possibly fungus type symptoms caused by poor housekeeping,you never posted water parameters you can never assume they are fine you must check frequently for peace of mind especially ammonia, difficult to say but your water and tank looks dull cloudy and algae , please get water test kit and repost* Immediate actions are aquarium salt baths look back previous posts for how to! Step up water changes slightly ensure you are using a water treatment such as PRIME , do you hoover the tank bottom? How often do you break down filter and rinse in dirty tank water* renewing substrate other than carbon is a last resort a filtrate sponge should be falling apart before it requires replacing providing you rinse it regular* am fairly sure you should be giving an anti bacterial treatment such as marcylan but I will step back here as I have zero knowledge of treatment other than aquarium salt which will help both bacterial and fungal symptoms but you may require something stronger* If in doubt seek vetenary advice

Thank you for your quick response! I did a water test the day before my post and everything was in the right parameters.
    For the salt bath, I have a 2 gallon plastic tank. How much aquarium salt should I use? Can they both get the bath together? If not, can I use the same water, or should I get a new bath for the second?
    When I change the water, it's usually around 70 degrees, treated with aquarium salt and Prime. I hoover the bottom of the tank every day or every other day. There are only a few river stones on the bottom of the tank to make it easier to clean.
    I read your post about rinsing the sponge in the tank water, but I don't understand how that "cleans" it. Can you explain?
    I am going to give them the salt bath and treat the water with an anti-bacterial. I will post again soon to keep you updated.

Thank you so much for the advice!!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Salt baths.Treatment: Yes if frogs are happier put them together"" The easiest way to treat the frog is to put him in a plastic container (like Rubbermaid) about 3 gallons in size. Put a gallon of conditioned water with about a half-teaspoon of epsom salts. Water temperature should be about 72 degrees. Dissolve the salt before putting the frog in. Don't put anything else in the container. Punch some small holes in the lid for ventilation. Leave the frog in the bath for 1 hour each day . Replace fresh water and salts each day. Filter sponge you never clean because its full of millions of beneficial bacteria which help stable your tanks water parameters consuming ammonia to nitrate then the less harmful nitrite but we remove nitrite by water changes * a mistake many do is washing the filter under tap chlorine kills the good bacteria the sponge should be squeezed out in a bucket of dirty tank water only to remove excess poopsy * GREAT idea to start marcalyn but I cannot advice you on that sorry

So yesterday I gave them both a salt bath. One of them had a lot of slimy, goopy stuff come off of him. It looked cottony but some was clear. I am assuming that this is definitely a fungal infection. I did not get the Marcalyn because they didn't have it at the store. Instead I am treating the water with Pimifix. I am going to give them another salt bath today, but the biggest container I have is only a gallon. Therefore I'm going to use 1/4 tsp. of the salt. One question about this- how do I know what the water temp is? I was afraid to stick my cooking thermometer in there because it's made of metal, which is toxic for them.

I realized one big mistake is me completely replacing the white filters. I need to get another testing kit that tests more than the pH, but that is right at a 7.0.

The water is cloudy. Should I treat the water with something that gets rid of algae? The water used to be clear for months, but now it's cloudy and a bit yellowish/green. Do you know what might have caused that and how to get rid of it?
    Name:  IMG_9947.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  803.3 KB
    This was a close-up picture of the frog while taking a bath. What are those dots on its back?
    Ugh! I'm trying so hard to make this right!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Do not add chemicals the frogs will breath through there skin,for algae control you first have to discover why there is excess algae,cut down light times and food! I recommend you do not feed them every 3rd day and smaller portions atleast until the tank improves , but keep fasting them every 3rd or 4th day forever, clean up will take time unless you do a tank strip which is not recommended at this frail time* instead do 10% DAILY water changes during which turn off filter to prevent clogging then scrape some algae each day and siphon /hoover as much algae you can, it will take time don't go daft and try doing to much to quickly* for water temp just compare using the temp of tank water until you get gauge

live plants are a helpful solution as they compete with algae I will post a link to hardy plants

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Forgot what they were called but found an old post ANUBIAS long stalked are very much fun for frogs they bask on there hardy leaves ' anubias can live without planting but you must remove there baskets may contain lead or rubber! Simply tie there roots to anything using string or wedge the roots, ask your local shop to order http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lon...=1511698680504

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

The treatment advice is for half tee spoon per gallon, the recommended 3 gallon size would think is for comfort, give them half tee spoon not quarter spoon per gallon and treatment is 1 hour per day maximum 10 day treatment, but continue with primafix or possibly marcalyn by instructions

Thread Information