Thread: IN NEED OF URGENT HELP - African Dwarf Frog

Default IN NEED OF URGENT HELP - African Dwarf Frog

Hi, I have three African Dwarf Frogs that live in a well planted 12 Gallon community tank. The tank cycled and matured before I added any animals and I keep up with regular water changes.
    One of my African Dwarf Frogs is incredibly skinny, he looks like a skeleton compared to my other two.
    I admit that they are underfed and I am trying to feed daily now. It has been about two weeks since their last proper meal although I have heard they can go up to a month and be fine.
    I went to feed them today with the usual frozen bloodworm and brineshrimp mix and he ate little to nothing.
    Mervin (the skinny frog) has always been oddly shaped, thinner but not flat like my other two and his back legs have always seamed to be at an odd angle.
    He is thinner than he's ever been and I am very scared he's going to die a horrible death. I feel awful because I think it's my fault he's like this because of not feeding him often enough although my other two are perfectly fine and healthy, having been fed the same.
    I really need help to fix this. If he's ill what is it and what can I treat him with if not what can I do to make him eat more again. Very scared for my little guy.
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: IN NEED OF URGENT HELP - African Dwarf Frog

Not a vet, but the odd shape and angle of the legs sounds like a birth defect or calcium deficiency. I'd suggest quarantining him so the other frogs don't catch a disease if he's actually sick, but it may be too late for that.
    I'm sorry about your frog being sick, but I'm not sure what you can do about it. Maybe he'd eat more if he was by himself so the others didn't get the food first?

I'm considering getting a breeding box to put him in because it will take me quite some time to set up another tank for him. I don't think it's contagious because the two frogs I got him with have never had any issues, thanks for the advice as for food I target feed them all with tweezers so I don't think that's the issue

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I often recommend a Pedialyte bath for frogs that aren't eating, as it can stimulate appetite, but I have no experience with Xenopus genus frogs. Another user posted this a while ago.
    http://www.frogforum.net/showthread....ulate-appetite
    In my reading, usually a 20 minute bath is recommended, so if you worry an hour is too long, you can try a 20 minute bath instead. Typically the mixture is around 1 part UNFLAVORED Pedialyte(the flavored kind can be harmful to frogs) to 9-10 parts dechlorinated water. I've seen people recommend rinsing them off after the bath, but I'm not sure how you'd that for an aquatic frog.
    As elly mentioned, quarantine is a good option. Even if it isn't infectious it is better to be safe than sorry. Good luck, I hope your frog feels better.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Thread Information