Thread: ACF Bloat on LEFT SIDE

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ACF Bloat on LEFT SIDE

My 12 y/o female African Clawed Frog is bloated. She has been bloated for two weeks.

At first, I wasn't sure if it was hard bloat or soft bloat, so I quarantined her and got Maracyn Oxy (couldn't find regular Maracyn) and begun salt baths.
    I did not want to take her to the vet if there was a high chance she was going to die anyway.

She has survived, but hasn't gotten much better. The bloating has dissipated a little (edit: photos show that it hasn't) except for her left side, which cases her to float slightly sideways. I have stopped treating with Maracyn, as per the instructions. I wasn't sure wether or not to continue the salt baths, so i've stopped that as well.

Side note: She has had a small bump in her belly for many years. I think it was from swallowing a piece of gravel back before I learned better. It never seemed to cause her any issues, but now I'm thinking it may be complicating things?

She has refused to eat all this time (she eats Grow-a-Frog food pellets). Her hind legs are now beginning to show it. (edit: I tried feeding her again and she actually ate a few pieces just now)

I wanted to get her to a vet last week, but **** hit the fan; my sister's truck was totaled (she's ok), lost power for awhile, my Houdini hound escaped twice, all the while I was trying to study for two exams. No one else could take her. Now the local herptology vet is going to be gone for several weeks. I'm going to try for another vet Monday, but I don't know is she will be available and wanted to hear y'all thoughts. Please help.

I'd rather not euthanize her, but if you know the condition is incurable or if you think she might require surgery and be too weak for it, I'd rather do that then keep her suffering.

Tank Parameters:
    -She is normally housed in a planted, 55 gallon tank kept at room temperature (66-76 degrees Fahrenheit) with 3 fancy goldfish. It is filtered with an AquaClear 110.
    -I was doing 40-60% water changes every week, but because of school, I was pushing that back to every two weeks. My frog started bloating days after I made a water change after letting it go for almost 3 weeks.
    -Most of the tests I bought when I relocated them to this tank last year turned out to be bad, so I haven't been using them.
    -The PH was 6.0. I know the ammonia was high, because the white tail of my Redcap Oranda goldfish was beginning to show a little red.
    -I treat the water with PRIME dechlorinator.

Name:  IMG_4783.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  49.7 KBName:  IMG_4789 2.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  72.8 KBName:  IMG_4787.jpg
Views: 1743
Size:  66.7 KB

Photos from the day I began treatment.

I thought I noticed her getting "bigger" a few days previously. I wasn't sure if it was just me, but then my mom noticed it too. I started looking for more information, then following morning we found her struggling to swim and I began treatment.

Name:  IMG_9740 2.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  76.9 KBName:  IMG_9741.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  51.5 KB

Photos from today (2 weeks later)

Here you can see that she floats sideways if not supported.
    (the brown dots are food that I just tried feeding her- I'll clean it out once I put her back in the quarantine tank)

Thanks.
    Last edited by Elyse; November 18th, 2017 at 11:27 AM.

Thread Information