Thread: Killer frog in pond - Seriously!

concort

Default Killer frog in pond - Seriously!

I have a garden pond and this water frog decided to take up residence there. It may have actually come down from a neighbor's pool. In any case, I have come to learn that he is killing birds. No joke. I would not have believed it but all the evidence is pointing in his direction. There have been over 15 birds turn up dead around or in the pond over the course of this summer. Well the one day, I saw the frog floating in the water and saw in front of him what looked to be another dead bird floating in the water. When i got closer to look, I couldn't believe my eyes....It was a dead bird and it was half in the frog's mouth. Half the bird was missing and was in the frog's mouth! I got closer and the frog took the bird under the water with it. Like jaws, but a frog. This is nuts. Just the other day my wife saw the frog under a small bush next to the pond...facing in towards the bush. When she came back later the frog was gone and directly in front of where the frog was, was another dead bird laying there. OK, now for the really incriminating evidence....Today, I saw a bird come in for a drink of water. Same looking bird as all the other poor unfortunate ones. Tweety made his way down towards the water as I watched....I thought this could be it..I need a video camera! So when the bird finally jumped to a rock stickin out of the water approaching to drink...just then that crazy frog, out of nowhere jumps from the water and lands exactly on the rock that the bird was just on! I couldn't believe my freakin eyes. The bird got away but c'mon....It's gotta be that frog that's killing all these birds. But WHY!!? Has anyone every heard or saw anything like this? I gotta get rid of this frog. Oh and there's three fish missing too. Would love some advice here and what others know of frogs. I can't find any info on killer frogs. Maybe it's some mutant frog from the chlorine in the neighbor's pool. Either way, I think he's gotta go. Just a soon as I get some sort of video of him so I can send it into America's Funniest Videos.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Killer frog in pond - Seriously!

Lol...da dum....da dum

Welcome to the forum.

Do you know what species the frog is? I wouldn't have a clue if this is the norm but I imagine if frogs can eat mice then its possible that they can eat birds. Can you please post you location as it will help us to help you.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Please set your country in your profile.

It sounds like an American Bullfrog.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

concort

[QUOTE=Ebony;29411]Lol...da dum....da dum

What does da dum da dum mean?

Anyway, I live in North East - Pennsylvania. Hey I didn't know frogs eat mice. The common everyday pond frog...Eat mice? Learn something new everyday. But I can't believe they can take down a bird. I mean...How do they do it. I have yet to witness that. Maybe knock them out with their tongue...?? Is it that strong a tongue. I tell ya...I just wouldn't buy any of this if I didn't see those incidents.

concort

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Please set your country in your profile.

It sounds like an American Bullfrog.

And they kill birds? I mean like a killing spree? This thing seems like it's doing it for sport. Do they really swallow their kill whole? This thing is going to be 50 pounds before long at the rate he's killing birds. If that's what's happening here.

SethD

Bullfrogs will attempt to eat almost anything. As a kid I remember this one little pond I would fish where there were two or three large bullfrogs who would regularly come out and swallow my bobber even though it was nearly as big as their heads. They were very nearly the top predators in that little pond and they acted like it. It was the funniest thing to watch them slowly drift towards the bobber and then pounce, swallowing it and jerking around my fishing pole until they finally realized they couldn't eat it and spit it out. I suspect that is why the frog is killing birds. It probably got one or two little ones it managed to swallow and now is hunting them as a food source. It probably isn't able to swallow most of them though and so is leaving the bodies about.

concort

really. Always learning here. Thanks for this. I never ever knew frogs could eat anything other than insects. Just crazy. The birds about as big as he is. How in the world is he taking them out? He's gotta go. He's going to eat me out of pond and garden.

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by concort View Post
    Lol...da dum....da dum
    But I can't believe they can take down a bird. I mean...How do they do it. I have yet to witness that. Maybe knock them out with their tongue...?? Is it that strong a tongue. I tell ya...I just wouldn't buy any of this if I didn't see those incidents.
    Frogs like bullfrogs take prey in two ways, one is with the tongue, and this is for average or small sized prey, but large prey items(like a bird) usually must be bitten directly and then stuffed into the mouth with the front feet as the tongue alone is not usually powerful enough to capture such large prey.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Lol...da dum....da dum
    Ha Ha, It was suppose to be the scary sound in the movie "Jaws"...Lol..I wasn't singing
    Last edited by John; August 9th, 2010 at 05:40 PM.

concort

OK, here's the big question...How do I catch this thing? I don't want to kill him. Would like to catch him and set him loose at a lake or creek or something. He's not staying.

SethD

OK, here's the big question...How do I catch this thing? I don't want to kill him. Would like to catch him and set him loose at a lake or creek or something. He's not staying.
    You can try catching him with a long handled dip net if you have one. If that doesn't work shoot him with a decently powerful airgun, a slingshot, a bow and arrow, etc. Just use something that isn't likely to be very dangerous should you have a ricochet. Don't feel bad about killing him if that is what it comes down to, bullfrogs are extremely common and killing one that is making a pest of itself doesn't harm the population a bit.

Bustashoot

I have a garden pond and this water frog decided to take up residence there. It may have actually come down from a neighbor's pool. In any case, I have come to learn that he is killing birds. No joke. I would not have believed it but all the evidence is pointing in his direction. There have been over 15 birds turn up dead around or in the pond over the course of this summer. Well the one day, I saw the frog floating in the water and saw in front of him what looked to be another dead bird floating in the water. When i got closer to look, I couldn't believe my eyes....It was a dead bird and it was half in the frog's mouth. Half the bird was missing and was in the frog's mouth! I got closer and the frog took the bird under the water with it. Like jaws, but a frog. This is nuts. Just the other day my wife saw the frog under a small bush next to the pond...facing in towards the bush. When she came back later the frog was gone and directly in front of where the frog was, was another dead bird laying there. OK, now for the really incriminating evidence....Today, I saw a bird come in for a drink of water. Same looking bird as all the other poor unfortunate ones. Tweety made his way down towards the water as I watched....I thought this could be it..I need a video camera! So when the bird finally jumped to a rock stickin out of the water approaching to drink...just then that crazy frog, out of nowhere jumps from the water and lands exactly on the rock that the bird was just on! I couldn't believe my freakin eyes. The bird got away but c'mon....It's gotta be that frog that's killing all these birds. But WHY!!? Has anyone every heard or saw anything like this? I gotta get rid of this frog. Oh and there's three fish missing too. Would love some advice here and what others know of frogs. I can't find any info on killer frogs. Maybe it's some mutant frog from the chlorine in the neighbor's pool. Either way, I think he's gotta go. Just a soon as I get some sort of video of him so I can send it into America's Funniest Videos.
    I have the same problem and am seeing dead birds all over the water feature and yard. Ours is not a Bull Frog but it is a Cascades Frog here in WA State. I am debating what to do with this frog but now notice that there is two frogs so now I have to get ride of both. We will take it to the Columbia River and let it loose if I can find someone to remove it. It dives under every time we come near it. I used to enjoy the birds coming and taking a bath in the water and now they do not want to come any where near the stream. I just know it has to be the frogs killing the birds, as I do not use chemicals in the water.

Tubby0512

Sounds like an American Bull Frog. I saw a huge American Bull Frog eat a bird before. I also saw one eat a rat. Could be an American Bull Frog. They will eat anything that fits in his mouth. Even other frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Killer frog in pond - Seriously!

I agree, sounds like an American bullfrog. I'll take him for you. We will be building a pond soon and I can house him in a big fish tank. I love American bullies.

Where in northern pa are you? I am also in northern pa.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Get a rood and reel and put a small bobber on the end of the line no hook. Make sure the bobber is all red.

Just cast the bobber across to the pond and make it move around a bit.
    I will wager that the frog will try to eat it. don't use too small of a bobber or it can be swallowed too easily and
    retrieving it will be not easy for you or the frog.

When you have captured the frog just gently pull on the string while holding the frog and he will spit it out hopefully.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I catch bullfrogs in my pond all the time. I like catching them. Easiest way to catch them is to dip them out of the pond with a net. But if it's not a deep net they can jump out. So you have to twist the top of your net so he doesn't jump out.

Another way to catch him is to just sneak up on him and grab him around the middle under his armpits.

Also you can wait at night time and get a bright flash light. Shine the flash light on him and he will freeze in place for a few seconds. Then you can either grab him or net him.

I have pet bullfrogs and they will try to eat anything that moves. When I feed them they like to try and grab my hands. I think it's cute. It does not hurt and is just a pinch. Maybe I'm just used to it. Also bullfrogs do not use their tongue to catch prey. They ambush their prey and grab it with their mouths.

N3XU5

You should watch this national geographic video about bullfrogs.

Video -- Bullfrogs Eat Everything -- National Geographic

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KOrOSi_...%3DKOrOSi_y8iA

This is a video of a bullfrog eating a bird

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information