Default (Urgent???) Problem with new White's Tree Frog

Name:  setup.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  12.3 KBName:  closeup.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  18.4 KBName:  sadfrog.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  12.9 KB
    I just got this juvenile White's yesterday from Repticon, a reptile breeder convention. I recognized that it was small and skinny but figured this was just due to it being very young and didn't doubt the breeder's care. All seemed well, besides the fact that the frog (Boggle) has barely moved and is very sluggish, until this morning when I woke up and saw him laying on his back in the ledge's cup. When I flipped him over I noticed bright yellow bumps on him, which I for some reason did not get a picture of at the time. The bumps seem to have gone down a little but you can see the protrusion near the head and the bright yellow coloration on the toe in the third picture closeup. He is currently housed in the same vivarium as my other frog, but they are separated by a mesh fly shield. The only thing similar to this I've found on the internet is infected cuts, and I'm wondering if maybe he somehow got beat up, either by my other frog or on his own, and maybe the cuts have become infected? Besides that I have no idea, and I'm not sure what to do besides ask for help. Depending on the response this post gets he will be taken to the vet as soon as possible.

Sorry if the wording isn't great or something, I'm worried about him and I hope this can get worked out one way or another without my other frog getting sick.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: (Urgent???) Problem with new White's Tree Frog

I'm very sorry I didn't get to this sooner. Something is dreadfully wrong with that frog. If you can take it to the vet, that is the best thing you could do, but this looks bad. I doubt it will be saved, I'm very sorry. You need to move this frog to a proper quarantine immediately, and remove your other frog and clean it's tank.
    Also, what are you using as substrate in that tank? I see you have a thermometer, but I dont see a hygrometer probe.
    I'm very sorry if I'm already too late. Good luck.

Edit: I know this is too late to help now, but in the future, a minimum 30 day full quarantine in a separate tank, better yet, inside a separate room as well is best before adding new frogs to an established tank with roommates. This minimizes risk of making your frogs sick.
    Last edited by daybr4ke; November 14th, 2017 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Added qt procedure
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That looks like an extremely sick frog. The spots suggest some kind of fungal/bacterial infection maybe. I suggest cleaning the tank in hopes the other frogs don't get ill. You might want to let it soak in a bath with some unflavored pedialyte in order to return electrolytes to it and try to perk it up enough to eat. But it probably won't survive without a trip to the vet. I'm sorry.

Thank you for the replies, sorry I wasn't able to get back to them sooner.

Boggle was taken to the vet and put down earlier today. It turns out he had a pre-existing condition of some sort, likely an ear infection, along with pretty bad necrosis to the point where he was missing toes (I hadn't noticed that, I never picked him up much besides to put him in the enclosure). It's sad he had to die so early but I figure I did what I could and at least gave him a peaceful death. After contacting the breeder I got my money back, but I'm concerned for the health of their other frogs and hoping it was somehow just him.

I also took my other frog, Bundt Cake, to the vet along with Boggle (in a separate carrier of course) to ensure whether he had been infected or not. The good news is he wasn't, and the vet was very impressed with his health. After thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting the enclosure all is back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    Also, what are you using as substrate in that tank? I see you have a thermometer, but I dont see a hygrometer probe.
    Forgot to reply to this, I use coconut dirt with sphagnum moss on top as a substrate.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ooh, okay. I was a little confused, with the lowish res I couldn't tell. Given that you were sold a frog with pre-existing health issues, I would suggest seeking a refund from the seller. This frog should bever have reached that condition. I'm sorry for your loss.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm glad you got your money back and your other frog seems healthy.

It's hard to tell if a frog is sick. Sadly by the time they look sick they're usually extremely sick and it seems like that was the case this time.

I've heard if you buy a frog it's important to examine it first and then put it into a quarantine tank so you can see if it's eating and moving normally before you introduce it to your other frogs.

Thread Information