Thread: Need help re-doing my setup for juvi Northern Leopard frog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need help re-doing my setup for juvi Northern Leopard frog

So, our leopard froglet has survived into froghood and now lives in a 10 gal glass aquarium that is half land (large gravel) and half water (about 2" deep with a slate island). He is just over an inch from nose to rump.

I want to redo his tank to make it the best setup for him, now that he's a full frog. He spends most of his time on the water side, splayed flat, under the roots of one pothos plant (he looks like he's skydiving...). And, aesthetically, his tank is a bit sad looking. His tank hovers around 62 degrees, and I wonder if it's too cold for him. Unfortunately, I have small children so, having heating/basking bulbs could be dangerous, so I'm not sure how to do it. FWIW, he hung out under the pothos in the summer, too. He tends to prefer his water side to the land side, but I wonder if that is because there aren't any good hiding places for him on the land side.

So my questions:

1. Should I heat his tank, and if so, to how hot and with what?

2. Would it be good to add more plants to his land area for insulation or to encourage him to get out of the water more often?

3. Should I drain the water side and put a water-filled "bowl" (like a large reptile dish) in that side of the tank, and make the rest land? Would that be deep enough for him (so much conflicting info online about how deep their "pool" should be)?

4. I worry about impaction from spaghum and coco fiber (he was eating it accidentally with his crickets, so I removed all of it; I can't get him to eat with me hand feeding him), so what substrate can I put down on the land side that will be softer than large gravel, but not dangerous?

Thanks in advance for any info. I'm finding it hard to get a straight answer online or from our local nature center. I've become quite smitten with this little one and just want his life to be as happy as possible.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Need help re-doing my setup for juvi Northern Leopard frog

I don't know the temp specifications for Leopard frogs, but they are leapers as adults. You might need a larger tank.

I don't know how good this article is, but here you go: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care...-Leopard-Frog/

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    I don't know the temp specifications for Leopard frogs, but they are leapers as adults. You might need a larger tank.

I don't know how good this article is, but here you go: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care...-Leopard-Frog/
    This is a great article! Thank you!! Sounds like my barebones rocks+water will work just fine, even if it is uninspiring

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Here's another care sheet that is similar, but might also be useful. Both suggest 30 gallons, which sounds small to me, having seen leopard frogs move around in the wild. While he's a little guy, the smaller enclosure might do, but plan ahead to upgrade as soon as you can. I would vote for giving him as much space as you can manage.

http://amphibiancare.com/2006/05/22/leopard-frogs/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Ton of critters. You can see them all here: Login • Instagram

Thread Information