So, our leopard froglet has survived into froghood and now lives in a 10 gal glass aquarium that is half land (large gravel) and half water (about 2" deep with a slate island). He is just over an inch from nose to rump.

I want to redo his tank to make it the best setup for him, now that he's a full frog. He spends most of his time on the water side, splayed flat, under the roots of one pothos plant (he looks like he's skydiving...). And, aesthetically, his tank is a bit sad looking. His tank hovers around 62 degrees, and I wonder if it's too cold for him. Unfortunately, I have small children so, having heating/basking bulbs could be dangerous, so I'm not sure how to do it. FWIW, he hung out under the pothos in the summer, too. He tends to prefer his water side to the land side, but I wonder if that is because there aren't any good hiding places for him on the land side.

So my questions:

1. Should I heat his tank, and if so, to how hot and with what?

2. Would it be good to add more plants to his land area for insulation or to encourage him to get out of the water more often?

3. Should I drain the water side and put a water-filled "bowl" (like a large reptile dish) in that side of the tank, and make the rest land? Would that be deep enough for him (so much conflicting info online about how deep their "pool" should be)?

4. I worry about impaction from spaghum and coco fiber (he was eating it accidentally with his crickets, so I removed all of it; I can't get him to eat with me hand feeding him), so what substrate can I put down on the land side that will be softer than large gravel, but not dangerous?

Thanks in advance for any info. I'm finding it hard to get a straight answer online or from our local nature center. I've become quite smitten with this little one and just want his life to be as happy as possible.