Thread: Need help, pixie frogs stopped eating. Very concerned!

Default Need help, pixie frogs stopped eating. Very concerned!

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice. My fiance and I got a female African bulldog who has been doing great. She's around 6 months old, eating every two days no problem and just got upgraded to a fully done 40 gallon enclosure a week ago. The enclosure has cocoa fiber substrate, sits at around 80-85F and 75-80% humidity.

The day after the upgrade, we got a male from Petco, slightly younger, about the same size and put a divider in the tank so they each have half. The female has almost stopped eating (maybe 12 crickets all week). The male seems fine, although we've noticed that unlike the females water, his turns a slight white tint when he sits in it for a while.

We're waiting for a vet visit Monday to check them both out, but we're very concerned. If any one has any advice or ideas, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Need help, pixie frogs stopped eating. Very concerned!

Quote Originally Posted by Dcam2015 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice. My fiance and I got a female African bulldog who has been doing great. She's around 6 months old, eating every two days no problem and just got upgraded to a fully done 40 gallon enclosure a week ago. The enclosure has cocoa fiber substrate, sits at around 80-85F and 75-80% humidity.

The day after the upgrade, we got a male from Petco, slightly younger, about the same size and put a divider in the tank so they each have half. The female has almost stopped eating (maybe 12 crickets all week). The male seems fine, although we've noticed that unlike the females water, his turns a slight white tint when he sits in it for a while.

We're waiting for a vet visit Monday to check them both out, but we're very concerned. If any one has any advice or ideas, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
    Can they see each other through the divider?

You should try to get pictures of the water change and the male on here.

As for the female not eating much, you just explained two changes that may have stressed her out a bit. You upgraded her to a new tank which places her in an unfamiliar environment that is larger and then bought a second frog and changed her unfamiliar environment again reducing its size. She is probably just a bit shaken up. If she can see the male, that may stress her a bit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Can they see each other through the divider?

You should try to get pictures of the water change and the male on here.

As for the female not eating much, you just explained two changes that may have stressed her out a bit. You upgraded her to a new tank which places her in an unfamiliar environment that is larger and then bought a second frog and changed her unfamiliar environment again reducing its size. She is probably just a bit shaken up. If she can see the male, that may stress her a bit as well.
    Thank you for the advice, it's very appreciated. We're are very freaked out and concerned. Just came home and found her upside down in her water dish. We got her up and on to some pillow moss in the terrarium, but we aren't sure what to do. Please, if there are any other possibilities or other things that we can try or look for, it Would be very appreciated.

Thank you

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for the advice, it's very appreciated. We're are very freaked out and concerned. Just came home and found her upside down in her water dish. We got her up and on to some pillow moss in the terrarium, but we aren't sure what to do. Please, if there are any other possibilities or other things that we can try or look for, it Would be very appreciated.

Thank you
    Do you still have her old tank? If so, I would set it back up and put her back in it. DO NOT give her water dish back as of yet. Do not want her to drown herself.

You also did not answer my question about the divider.

Have you changed anything else lately? Finding her flipped over in her water dish and unable to right herself is not good news. Is all water used for them treated with a dechlorinating agent?

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Do you still have her old tank? If so, I would set it back up and put her back in it. DO NOT give her water dish back as of yet. Do not want her to drown herself.

You also did not answer my question about the divider.

Have you changed anything else lately? Finding her flipped over in her water dish and unable to right herself is not good news. Is all water used for them treated with a dechlorinating agent?
    Yes, the divider was clear bit we put something over it so they can no longer see one another. Nothing else has been changed about the set up and yes, the water is always treated before we put it in the tank.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, the divider was clear bit we put something over it so they can no longer see one another. Nothing else has been changed about the set up and yes, the water is always treated before we put it in the tank.
    You'll have to keep watch over her. She may just be overly stressed about all the changes.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

sounds like stress to me. pictures say a thousand words. pictures of the enclosure and frogs might shed more light on the situation. sorry your going threw the drama!

Thread Information