Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacman frog bleeding from nose.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman frog bleeding from nose.

Quote Originally Posted by froghub View Post
    Okay so i fed him one cricket, he was burried in is hole, he ate one, i was able to see the tongue which seems normal. But i was not able to check further inside.
    I'll give the guy some time. He looks just fine, he borrowed onto the ground after he ate has he normally does, and he doesn't seem to be in pain. I guess there could be a wound his mouth, i'll not feed him tomorrow anyway, so if there is i give him time to heal it. By the weekend i'll try to check his mouth if i see some stranger behavior.
    What do you think?
    That's fine.

You can also give him softer food if available.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    That's fine.

You can also give him softer food if available.
    Thanks Grif, would a honey bath help killing any bacteria that might be developping inside his mouth if there is a wound?
    By what i understand honey is an antibacterial and if i put it to frog chin level that would help in case ?
    I guess if it doesn't help it will not make it worst neither ?
    I guess i could try that tomorrow

Nationality
    [Canada]

From what I understand honey is good for mild problems, you could do it if you wanted but if there was something wrong and it got infected or something you would an antibiotic from a vet to kill the infection. I would just leave him be and keep an eye on him and if you notice he’s acting different then bring him to a vet or start thinking of other measures to take. And you are getting some great and very knowledgeable advice from advice from Griff, I learned so much from Griff and few others that know there stuff and from reading through there past threads. What ever advice you get from Griff i wouldn’t think twice about doing it myself. Anyway I hope he ends up being ok I wouldn’t over think it unless it happens again or if he starts acting off. And Griff it’s nice to see one of the Pacman veterans around, the forum has pretty dead these days. It’s like all the moderators and very knowledgeable keepers just vanished.

5. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks Grif, would a honey bath help killing any bacteria that might be developping inside his mouth if there is a wound?
    By what i understand honey is an antibacterial and if i put it to frog chin level that would help in case ?
    I guess if it doesn't help it will not make it worst neither ?
    I guess i could try that tomorrow
    No it would not.

The antibacterial properties of honey are slim and would do nothing for an internal infection. You can buy some aquarium antibiotic water additives like Turtlefix and add a small amount to his water. It will mostly just assist in preventing external infections. If he was really in pain he would not eat and especially not if he had damage in his mouth.

You may have nothing to worry about at all. Perhaps what came out of his nose were cricket guts combined with hemolymph.

7. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    From what I understand honey is good for mild problems, you could do it if you wanted but if there was something wrong and it got infected or something you would an antibiotic from a vet to kill the infection. I would just leave him be and keep an eye on him and if you notice he’s acting different then bring him to a vet or start thinking of other measures to take. And you are getting some great and very knowledgeable advice from advice from Griff, I learned so much from Griff and few others that know there stuff and from reading through there past threads. What ever advice you get from Griff i wouldn’t think twice about doing it myself. Anyway I hope he ends up being ok I wouldn’t over think it unless it happens again or if he starts acting off. And Griff it’s nice to see one of the Pacman veterans around, the forum has pretty dead these days. It’s like all the moderators and very knowledgeable keepers just vanished.
    Life gets in the way and some of us have chosen to move on or had to make the decision to give up the hobby. I've just been really busy and was getting a little burnt out on answering the same question hundreds of times when a simple search could have answered the question. Some people will not go through the effort to care for their animal properly and that also started to wear me down. I may pop in from time to time now.

9. 2 members thank GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

That’s what I figured happened, life throws some serious curveballs sometimes and you don’t have a choice to give some stuff up. And I hear you on answering the same questions over and over, it becomes taxing and very repetitive. And like you said especially when you can do a basic google search and get the answers. I had to take break from the forum for awhile for the same reasons.

11. This member thanks monster for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I understand too, I was very inactive for a long period of time, and was out of the hobby. I would love to see more mods around but if you still feel a little burnt out that's fine too, take all the time you need. And to respond to the OP, another thing you could try instead of crickets if they are available are earthworms. If the frog can't eat them whole they will need to be diced up, but they're much softer and pose less of a chance of injuring the animal. I do think you're doing well, since the frog is healthy I think it would be best to continue feeding and caring for it as usual and just monitor it during each feeding, to reduce stress.

Hey guys, thank you all for the answer. Little guy is fine, maybe it were just some cricket guts as Grif mentioned.
    He's eating well, burrowing during day coming out at night. I guess i'll stop worrying about this it's been a while, and if he was in pain he would not eat and it's not the case. He has just eaten 3 crickets.
    I think he's been sheeding, is skin is beautiful those days

Thank you all for your answer guys!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey guys, thank you all for the answer. Little guy is fine, maybe it were just some cricket guts as Grif mentioned.
    He's eating well, burrowing during day coming out at night. I guess i'll stop worrying about this it's been a while, and if he was in pain he would not eat and it's not the case. He has just eaten 3 crickets.
    I think he's been sheeding, is skin is beautiful those days

Thank you all for your answer guys!
    Good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Good to hear.
    Thanks Grif, i've set the guy to the big house. He was able to jump(for a little guy is a big jump) from the container to the terrarium once so i set him in the terrarium already, this away at least he will not hurt himself in the fall. I was worried when he jumped, it's about 25cms but still dangerous. He doesn't seems stressed but we shall see if i change him back later or divise the terrarium itself. Anyway he doesn't seem too worried, he explored a bit and then borrowed himself, he's kind of an agressive one i would say ahahah.
    Out of curiosity, i saw that the aquariums water conditioners are less expensive than reptisafe, are they safe for reptiles/amphibians?

Another thing, i've a technical question and i'm sure you guys know. So when the temperature goes up during the day my humidity goes to the 70's 60's high sometimes percent. At night when its cooler it goes to the 80's. So i'm well aware that there's a correlation between temperature and humidity, but i'm not sure how can i make it stable during the day or if it is an hygrometer issue. Is there too much ventilation in the tank maybe? It's an exoterra, i've changed one of the metal grids in the top tank with plexiglass and i left the other mesh untouched.
    Although the probe is in the ventilated area, which might take the humidity away. I'll try to set another one in the covered side to see the diference.
    Thanks guys
    Last edited by froghub; November 14th, 2017 at 02:36 AM.

Nationality
    [United States]

I've used amquel dechlorinator, a basic fish dechlorinator and ammonia remover with frogs for years. I recently picked up a bottle of reptisafe to compare, actually. I'll be making a thread on it later. It is quite safe, but does not boast electrolytes and/or calcium supplementation in the water like reptisafe does. For the price difference and certain aspects of my experience with reptisafe, I think I will be continuing with amquel in the future.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    I've used amquel dechlorinator, a basic fish dechlorinator and ammonia remover with frogs for years. I recently picked up a bottle of reptisafe to compare, actually. I'll be making a thread on it later. It is quite safe, but does not boast electrolytes and/or calcium supplementation in the water like reptisafe does. For the price difference and certain aspects of my experience with reptisafe, I think I will be continuing with amquel in the future.
    Alright, got the idea, i would guess reptisafe would be better, but i would believe the exoterra(but it costs the double of reptisafe too) one would be even better thats quite logic, it's made for them, but the price is not that more expensive either so i'll keep using reptisafe or exoterra's, thanks
    Btw humidity problem is solved, the ventilation was too open. I've attached some foil papper to the top, i'll change the other mesh to plexiglass soon enought, i'll leave about 3x18 cms for air should be enough.
    Little guy went borrowing yesterday after 5 crickets, havent seen him yet ahahah i put a whole lot of substrat as i saw he spends a lot of time under ground totally burrowed
    Thanks guys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information