Thread: Pacman frog bleeding from nose.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pacman frog bleeding from nose.

Hello guys. So i'm kinda worried. I was feeding my frog and he started bleeding from the nose.
    Not sure if it was is blood or pray's blood. The cricket was kinda of big. But the frog should normally handle this size. Any ideas?
    Any advice on this?
    Should i be worried?
    Frog has pooped this morning, everything seemed right.
    Could the cricket have hurt him on the way down? I cleaned the blood with some paper it seemed to have stopped right away this leads me to think it was the crickets blood?
    He seems to breath fine and he seems as good as always, running arround and etc i fed him and cleaned is nose he's now under the substrate as always..
    The cricket was a big black one(gryllus bimaculatus) not the brown ones(acheta domesticaand), surely it seemed crunchy as it poped when he bitted it out of the tongs.
    I guess he could have had some trouble while swallowing?
    The frog is this size now:

The crickets are about 3cms.
    Thanks for the help
    Last edited by froghub; November 6th, 2017 at 09:56 AM.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman frog bleeding from nose.

I'm thinking one of two things, either it is like you said and it is the cricket's blood, especially if the bleeding stopped immediately after cleaning the frog, or it may have tried in a last ditch effort to save it's life kicking the frog with the spines on the rear hind legs, which may have broken skin. If you're still unsure, I would recommend taking it to a vet, but I personally think it's nothing to worry about. If it happens again, I would take it to a vet, just to be safe.

3. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Yes, immediatly after the cricket went all the way down it stopped as i was cleaning it. And i noticed this translucid fluid mixed with the blood and exiting at last, i guess if it was the frogs blood it would just be blood? And i take the cricket backlegs off so they don't hurt him, so i guess the only way he could have hurt him was throught bitting. But i fed him the crickets from the back, so the head comes last? And he swallows them like a banana, not sideways.
    What do you think? Crickets blood most likely? Does this happens often? I'm keeping and eye on him he's doing just fine as always... I guess i'll give him little crickets so its easy for him to swallow. Although the eye rule was respected, he was big in lenght. He ate 3 crickets, I gave him the big one last, maybe he was full after that one?
    Thanks for the answer pall.

Nationality
    [Canada]

It was more then likely the cricket, I wouldn't worry to much and just keep an eye on him to see if it happens again. The only other thing I could think of is may be he banged it if he was moving around but if he was stationary that wouldn't be the case.

6. This member thanks monster for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    It was more then likely the cricket, I wouldn't worry to much and just keep an eye on him to see if it happens again. The only other thing I could think of is may be he banged it if he was moving around but if he was stationary that wouldn't be the case.
    Nah, it was really just for 10 seconds while swallowing the cricket, i cleaned him he swalloed the cricket and he stopped bleeding instantanly.
    Has this ever happen to you Monster? Pray's blood coming out of the frog nostrils? Does it happens often?
    I guess i should feed him smaller crickets right? I guess he might be too big to get down is throat.
    Btw you guys in the US/Canada use the brown crickets or the black ones?? My frog prefers the black ones, but they're way bigger than the brown ones.
    Thanks guys.

Nationality
    [Canada]

No I have never had it happen with my guys to my knowledge, the reason I say not to my knowledge is because I feed in almost total darkness so I wouldn't have been able to see it. If he seems healthy though and doing everything he's supposed to I wouldn't over think it, just keep an eye on him when he's not burrowed. If he starts bleeding without eating he may have cut the inside of the mouth with the spines from the legs as mentioned, but if it stopped right after you wiped it this more then likely isn't the case. Here in Canada we get the brown crickets, the only black ones I see are the ones outside in my yard and garden. If your using the large crickets maybe try the medium size, the one thing you want to be careful with while swallowing is that when they swallow they use there eyes to help push the item down. That's why when he swallows you will notice his eyes shut and kind of push down into his head, you wouldn't want him to hurt the inside of his mouth were the eyes are because then he could get eye infections from the inside or even damage the eye. I don't think is what happened just something to think about when feeding him. This is why I feed prekilled fuzzies, I wouldn't want one to bite one of my frogs in his mouth right behind the eye. That would be a disaster, and a for sure trip to the vet.

9. This member thanks monster for this post:

Thread Information