Thread: Pixie passed way !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pixie passed way !

Guys, my frog died today. I dunno want happened. He wasnt moving and then i turned him arround he had the red legs(i checked him often, first time i saw that) and he wasnt able to turn, no response in either of the legs He died
    Poor guy. What did i do wrong??

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Pixie passed way !

Hey sorry for your loss. He was still a baby so I really don’t think it was anything you did, he could have been ill when you purchased him and this may have been why he was reluctant to eat. Or it could have been just bad genetics if that’s the proper word. If you end up getting another I would advise to have the tank setup and the heat and humidity in check before bringing it home. They need a couple of days usually with no interaction to settle in so it’s always good to have the setup running already so he can be left alone. Not saying this was the reason he passed but if frog is already ill the added stress of fiddling around in his enclosure will stress him and when they get stressed it lowers there immune system big time, this lets what ever he sick with take over him faster. Again sorry for the loss.

3. 2 members thank monster for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Hey sorry for your loss. He was still a baby so I really don’t think it was anything you did, he could have been ill when you purchased him and this may have been why he was reluctant to eat. Or it could have been just bad genetics if that’s the proper word. If you end up getting another I would advise to have the tank setup and the heat and humidity in check before bringing it home. They need a couple of days usually with no interaction to settle in so it’s always good to have the setup running already so he can be left alone. Not saying this was the reason he passed but if frog is already ill the added stress of fiddling around in his enclosure will stress him and when they get stressed it lowers there immune system big time, this lets what ever he sick with take over him faster. Again sorry for the loss.
    Thanks Monster,
    I already have the new terrarium set properly; I'm thinking of getting a new one, yet not sure if i should buy from the same shop. They have a lot now. What should i look before buying the frog monster?
    Another thing, can it be the size of the crickets? Althought he seems to eat them well, they might be too large?
    But i guess that would not kill him. I would believe he was already sick and he didn't eat because of it...
    I'm thinking of getting an Ornata next.
    It's kinda of sad cause the little bugger was doing better and eating already. And i kinda feel i did something wrong. Poor guy.

PS: since i'm not getting an albino this time, should i get a uvb lamp or not?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Look for a frog that looks alert and doesn't have shed or anything stuck to him. I would ask to hold the frog, if it doesn't try to get away from you and just sits there that could be a sign theres something wrong. If the frog is just sitting in the water bowl I would ask if this is normal for the frog also, if it sits in the bowl all the time this would also be a indicator that it is sick. I would ask them to feed the frog for you to see how he reacts to the food, again if it doesn't at least catch his attention I wouldn't purchase it, when these frogs are babies they have one thing on there mind and that is food. I would also ask were they purchase the frogs from and do some googling to see if you can get any feed back on the seller/breeder.
    The crickets were pretty big for the frog but I don't think that is what made him pass, if he was pooping them he was digesting them and you were giving days off inbetween feedings. Generally the rule with feeders is no thicker then the distance between his eyes and no longer then half the body length, this is really good to follow when they are babies and juveniles to be safe. Usually when they are adults they can handle something a little bigger, people feed fuzzies and they can take them no problem.
    For the uvb it wont hurt them but it isn't needed, these frogs are adjusted to calcium metabolism with out uvb and in the wild when the sun comes out they pretty much burrow down or sit under leaves etc. and this what the vitamins are for. A good vitamin to get is Repashy calcium plus, it has all the vitamins you need in one. But again Uvb will not kill them and could have some benefits.

6. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

And just in case you didn't know, when buying an Ornata make sure to look and see if it has false eye spots. These are 2 little black dots on the back of each eye, this is garunteed way to tell if it is one.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hey, sorry about your loss, it is always very difficult to lose a loved one, including animals. I do think he was being cared for properly if that's any condolence. If you did get it from a pet-store, it likely did have something before you acquired it, and there was nothing to be done about that really. Again, sorry for your loss, we will be here to help you whenever you get your next frog species! (I myself am considering an Ornate horned frog, so great minds think alike )

9. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Thread Information